dcom errors RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be getting this error on startup of my WHS. I am new to errors on WHS but it is repeatable. I was not having this problem until I turned on remote access.

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service DDNSS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {936C3331-F751-4E00-88EA-05642813E326}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I look at the event viwer this is what I get.

Error    7/3/2009    8:55:50 AM    DCOM    None    10005    N/A    SERVER

Sorry about my ignorance but I am just learning my way around a server.

Any help would be great

Emmett
    Friday, July 3, 2009 1:25 AM

Answers

• Hello Olaf and Kariya21

That Driver seems to have solved the restarting problem I was having. The event viewer is not showing any problems after about a 10 minute wait. Remote access seems to report it is happy so far. When I get a chance to remotely log in later today I will really know. I hope it works....

Thank you both

Emmett

Friday, July 3, 2009 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Emmet,
    please double click that event to get the details.
    What kind of network adapter is in there? (Could be, that the drivers are still not loaded, if the system attempts to start the service.)
    Does the server including remote access work as expected later? If so, the issue may have resolved itself later.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:11 AM
  • Hi Olaf

When I double click the error:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    DCOM
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    10005
    Date:        7/3/2009
    Time:        8:55:50 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVER
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service DDNSS with arguments "" in order to run the server:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2) Intel PRO/1000 is listed in the Device manager and I am running a Intel D975Xbx2 motherboard. I think this is the right driver for this board. I will go to Intel's website and check for the right driver but I do not believe they have one for Server 2003 posted. I believe I am running the Vista one right now.

3) As far as remote access I will know in about 7 hours my time as it will be really tested when I leave on vacation. I have never tried using remote access until now. I should have tried this a whole lot earlier than waiting for the last minute. The remote access tab tell me it should work fine.

4) Could it be that the network is slow coming up after a restart?

Thanks from USA

Emmett

Friday, July 3, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Hi Olaf

When I double click the error:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    DCOM
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    10005
    Date:        7/3/2009
    Time:        8:55:50 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVER
    Description:

2) Intel PRO/1000 is listed in the Device manager and I am running a Intel D975Xbx2 motherboard. I think this is the right driver for this board. I will go to Intel's website and check for the right driver but I do not believe they have one for Server 2003 posted. I believe I am running the Vista one right now.

I would get rid of the Vista driver.  WHS is written on top of Server 2003, which is basically XP server.  If you can't find a 2003 driver, try XP instead.

3) As far as remote access I will know in about 7 hours my time as it will be really tested when I leave on vacation. I have never tried using remote access until now. I should have tried this a whole lot earlier than waiting for the last minute. The remote access tab tell me it should work fine.

4) Could it be that the network is slow coming up after a restart?

Thanks from USA

Emmett

Friday, July 3, 2009 1:00 PM
  • Hello Kariya21

I was thinking of trying the XP/2K version as I was checking the Intel site. I will give it a try. I wonder why Intel does not have any drivers on their site for server 2003 for this board?

Thanks

Emmett
    Friday, July 3, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Hello Olaf and Kariya21

That Driver seems to have solved the restarting problem I was having. The event viewer is not showing any problems after about a 10 minute wait. Remote access seems to report it is happy so far. When I get a chance to remotely log in later today I will really know. I hope it works....

Thank you both

Emmett

Friday, July 3, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I was thinking of trying the XP/2K version as I was checking the Intel site. I will give it a try. I wonder why Intel does not have any drivers on their site for server 2003 for this board?
    Intel, like some other manufacturers, only releases Windows Server 2003 drivers for motherboards that are intended by Intel for use in a server. Yours is a desktop motherboard. You would encounter a similar problem with any pre-built PC from the major manufacturers. You'll only find drivers for the operating system(s) the PC could ship with.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:31 PM