Partition size RRS feed

• Question

• My C:/ drive on my WHS is getting full with installed applications. Is it possible to extend the primairy partition? And if so, how to extend it?
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:59 PM

Answers

• I had the same issue.  Prompted by a motherboard change which forced a reinstall I decided to follow an article seen on wegotserved  I used partition magic from Hiren's boot disk to do the resize.  Installation completed ok as a server reinstall with no errors and I now have a 58Gb SYS partition.

• Proposed as answer by goobatec Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Monday, October 27, 2008 6:43 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:59 AM

All replies

• Extending C: drive at any stage past installation is possible with 3rd party software, but not recommended, since it can end in a necessary reinstall.
    I recommend to add a disk to your WHS, which is not assigned to the storage pool.
    Uninstall some of the more disk space hogging applications and install them again, but with a custom target folder on that drive.

You can also try a tool like TreeSize to spot, where the most files are located (sometimes log files and similar unexpected stuff).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:08 AM
  • I had the same issue.  Prompted by a motherboard change which forced a reinstall I decided to follow an article seen on wegotserved  I used partition magic from Hiren's boot disk to do the resize.  Installation completed ok as a server reinstall with no errors and I now have a 58Gb SYS partition.

• Proposed as answer by goobatec Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Monday, October 27, 2008 6:43 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:59 AM
  • You can do the same with a Vista DVD.
    At the first reboot after setup has been started for a clean install of WHS (not for a reinstall, since diskpart cannot cut from the beginning of a volume), boot from that DVD.
    Select Computer Repair options and open a command prompt.
    Run the following commands:
    diskpart
    list volume (check which is the sys volume)
    select volume y (replace y with the number of the system volume)
    extend size=30000 (extends the volume by 30 GB of free disk space next to the volume)
    exit

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Please be aware that WHS isn't designed to be used as a general purpose server operating system, or a desktop operating system. The standard 20 GB partition is more than ample for the intended uses (I think I still have 13-14 GB free); if you've installed enough software and stored enough documents, etc. on C: to fill it, then you may want to rethink what you're using your server for and move some of the functions back off to desktops.

In addition, there is no guarantee that you would be able to upgrade to a future version of WHS if you alter the size of your system parittion in any way (I think it unlikely that you'll have any issues, but you're taking the risk).

In other words, this is a completely unsupported and non-recommended operation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:52 PM