Internet Explorer - Where's the Audio and Webkit Support? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I am developing a music player for a website without Flash, and it is my understanding that IE has no built in support for audio formats. I've tried ogg, wav, mp3, aiff, pcm, and even Microsoft's wma! Nothing plays in IE except for Flash-based music players. How am I expected to create a music player if the user doesn't have support for both JavaScript and Flash?
    My player does indeed use JavaScript, but I can have a back up for that: letting the music play in the browsers' default player, but IE is the only browser which doesn't have this capability. I could even have links on my page to play the music in the background, but a visual player is a much better user experience.

I am concerned about the lack of audio support I have experienced with IE, as well as the lack of webkit support. IE is used by around 50% of internet users, so why is it a couple of steps behind such browsers as: FireFox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari? The latter three browsers are used by only a handful of the internet population, yet they support mp3, wav, and ogg formats, respectfully, and have webkit support. I thought IE would be a leading browser: making the standards, not trailing behind.

I do hope that IE 9 will have built in support for audio and have at least it's own form of webkit. I say built in support because I hate plugins. Plugins force people into searching and downloading, and all the time consuming steps it takes. Built in is much more efficient and user-friendly.

The internet could be thriving with highly interactive dynamic websites without the use of Flash! The webkit can offer this. I can have a rotating 3D-looking cube with just a few lines of JavaScript and a webkit supported browser. Also, IE doesn't recognise opacity values  direct from CSS, but it does with one line of JavaScript declaring the value. So, if the user doesn't have JavaScript enabled I'm stuck with no opacity options again. I've noticed that a lot of websites have gone back to basics, probably because it's safe and trusted.

I really hope the next IE will have much more support for the affermentioned. If not, I do think more people will be changing to another browser after learning what they can offer.

Aaron Symons

Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:26 PM