Bing Translator on WP8? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

Do you have any plans of releasing the Bing Translator app for Windows Phone 8? I didn't realize it was a killer app until I bought a Lumia 920 and could not reinstall it.

Great job with the WP7 version BTW.

Thanks 

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:38 AM

All replies

• Yeah, i'm really missing Bing Translator on my new Windows Phone 8 device...also Photosynth....probably shouldn't have upgraded so quickly..

Geospatial Programmer

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hey folks - the Translator app for Windows Phone 8 is currently in testing and we hope to release it shortly. We needed to do some extra testing in order to take advantage of certain platform changes in the operating system. Very glad to hear how useful it has been to you - and the team is working hard to get this out of the door in short order.

Stay tuned for an update on our blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/translation.

-Vikram Dendi, Director of Product Mgmt

• Proposed as answer by geodan7 Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to us Vikram. Yes, it's the best language translation app on any platform! The only thing I miss are verb conjugations :P

I'll be more patient...

Geospatial Programmer

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Vikram - Translator quickly became the single most important app on my phone. I travel constantly for my role in MS and I am eagerly awaiting the Win 8 version. Kudos to you and your team - this is an outstanding technology and user experience that differentiates the Windows Phone.

Some quick feedback -

Audio - maybe this was just my Samsung Focus S, but I could not get the volume to be loud enough when the phone would speak a translated sentence. In a taxi, trying to get the phone to speak to the driver, it was simply not loud enough for him to hear the Chinese version of the sentence.

Camera - this may be a tough one to solve for, but there is a big difference between holding up the camera for text that is close vs. a large sign that is far away. The phone did a much better job on text that was close. If I'm trying to figure out what the Chinese characters are on the huge sign at the top of a building...very hard to get the camera to "see" that vs. a page or menu directly in front of me.

Idea - have you thought about making a menu of common phrases that can be rapidly accessed? In a travel scenario, there are probably fewer than 30 key phrases that would be really useful to get to: Where is the bathroom? I'd like a beer please. How much does this cost? etc.

Thank you again. GREAT app

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I love the above poster's idea. Further, the phrase book could be customisable...allowing you to save phrases you think you will use often but not necessarily something EVERYONE might use.

again, great job!

• Edited by MarkieMAN64 Monday, April 29, 2013 5:43 PM spelling boo boo
    Monday, April 29, 2013 5:41 PM