I need is to show My PC the OS choices menu.... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a PC with 2 HDD. i've installed Win2000 server in one HDD. after that i've removed that HDD and installed Win2003 server in another one. After i got finished, i need to boot up my system with both the HDDs plugged in. When i had done that, it boots with 2000 server, Which is normal;

Now what i need is to show My PC the OS choices menu....

I Think i need to edit my boot.ini file of 2000 server and i need to config the master slave option os my both HDDs...

but i dont know what and how to do ..

please help...

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:54 PM

Answers

• check which one is in master nad which in slave that should be enough
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:56 PM
  • If you would have installed the second OS (Win2003) without removing the first hard disk, Windows would have done these things by itself. Now, you will have to edit boot.ini for windows 2000 server. This is the string you have to use assuming that you have two hard disks and 2003 is installed on the second harddisk on partition 1. You have to add it under the operating systems section in boot.ini and dont delete any of the existing lines in it

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Windows 2003 Server" /fastdetect

And please dont edit boot.ini if you dont know about the dangers involved. If you are unsure about what you are doing, then bestbet is to reinstall the second OS with both harddisks in,and make sure that u install it on a different partition other than the main OS partition

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:59 PM

All replies

• check which one is in master nad which in slave that should be enough
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:56 PM
  • If you would have installed the second OS (Win2003) without removing the first hard disk, Windows would have done these things by itself. Now, you will have to edit boot.ini for windows 2000 server. This is the string you have to use assuming that you have two hard disks and 2003 is installed on the second harddisk on partition 1. You have to add it under the operating systems section in boot.ini and dont delete any of the existing lines in it

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Windows 2003 Server" /fastdetect

And please dont edit boot.ini if you dont know about the dangers involved. If you are unsure about what you are doing, then bestbet is to reinstall the second OS with both harddisks in,and make sure that u install it on a different partition other than the main OS partition

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:59 PM
  • change the boot loaders` arguments and defaults through my computer-->properties-->advanced-->start up and recovery-->settings change boot pattern. as stated in above post
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:21 PM