none
volume license key RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a copy of XP Pro from of eBay it came with  computer hardware in order to make it legal.  I installed it on an emachine that had a early copy of XP home.  The early copy kept crashing is the reason for the new install.  The software worked flawlessly for two years.  I purchased a laptop with no software and decided to give the original emachine restore disk one more try so I could install the newer copy onto my laptop.  After several hours of updates and patches the original software continued to run with no problem.  I installed the XP Pro on my laptop and for three months had no problems.  Then one day I started getting the genuine advantage notification.  I called Microsoft and was told the new software was from a volume license but still valid!  I was told for $50 tech-support would help me correct the problem.  I have tried to validate on my own but with no success, can you please help?
    • Moved by JeniferA Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:06 PM XP Legalization question (Moved from Feedback and Comments to Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:10 PM

Answers

• Morning Grunt,

Well based on what your saying it appears that your copy is a non-genuine copy. The best bet @ this point is to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy .  Next I would use the restore disk for your emachine. Also contact PayPal and Ebay and let them know of this situation.

Take care Grunt

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• Morning Grunt,

Well based on what your saying it appears that your copy is a non-genuine copy. The best bet @ this point is to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy .  Next I would use the restore disk for your emachine. Also contact PayPal and Ebay and let them know of this situation.

Take care Grunt

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Grunt49,

Based on what you have posted:

1.  Using the eMachines recovery CDs on the eMachines computer is the best way to ensure that your eMachines computer is running the edition of Windows that it is properly licensed to run.  Now that the eMachines was restored using its Recovery CDs, it should pass the WGA with flying colors.

You can run the mgadiag utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 to check for yourself.

2.  It is unusual, but not unheard of, for a laptop to come without a Windows Operating System license, especially if it is a name brand laptop such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, Toshiba, etc.  Please look on the bottom of the laptop for a Windows Certificate of Authenticity.  If there is a CoA, chances are excellent that the laptop is still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows listed on the CoA.  Again, if from a major manufacturer, you might be able to get the Recovery CDs for that make and model of laptop to install a licensed copy of Windows on it.

If there is no CoA on the laptop then chances are it is a "naked PC" (meaning it was sold without an OS) and naked PCs are not permitted by the Volume Licensing Agreement to run a Volume Licensing edition of Windows without first having a base license (such as an OEM license) installed and activated on the computer.

3.  The copy of XP Pro you purchased on eBay, if identified as a Volume License, is not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to be used by you on any computer, period, regardless of whether it comes up as still a Genuine Product Key, because your use of the PK is not covered by the Volume Licensing Agreement that the entity who owns the key has with Microsoft.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:31 PM