none
Install another Win7 into a dual-booted Linux virtual machine, is it legal? RRS feed

• Question

• My PC has dual-boot with Windows 7 professional and Debian Lenny Linux. (both O/S are running in the same PC)

After booted to Debian, I have setup a virtual server (VMware Server) in order to host Guest O/S (that will be installed with Win7 also). Therefore, I will have two win7 in the same PC:

1. one is on the first booted O/S (Win7)
    2. another Win7 is inside the virtual machine which is hosted by the second booted O/S (Debian Linux)

I would like to know if the virtual Guest O/S is to be installed Win7 using the same product key as in the first boot O/S, will it cause my activation issue and is it legal to do that ?

In other words, the same Win7 product key for the first boot of O/S and also for the O/S in the virtual machine, is legal & activation will be OK ?

Many thanks in advance.

• Edited by w k Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:33 PM just to make my question easier to understand.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:52 PM

Answers

• You cannot use the same Windows 7 product key for the VM.  You'll need to purchase a new Windows 7 "Full Version" license.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:18 PM
  • You can only have one install on one computer. For example, dual booting from 32 bit to 64 bit on the same computer, using the same key would also be in violation of the agreement. The Virtual machine is infact a different machine requiring a separate license.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:41 PM
  • No.  One (1) Windows 7 license permits one (1) installation and activation on just one (1) computer.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by w k Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:55 PM

All replies

• You cannot use the same Windows 7 product key for the VM.  You'll need to purchase a new Windows 7 "Full Version" license.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Many thanks for your reply.

By the way, the first boot of Win7 (on first partition) is already a Full/Retail version and it is 'not' an OEM version. So, can i still license to have another Win7 within virtual machine on the same PC (on second boot) ? I mean both also using the same product key.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:29 PM
  • You can only have one install on one computer. For example, dual booting from 32 bit to 64 bit on the same computer, using the same key would also be in violation of the agreement. The Virtual machine is infact a different machine requiring a separate license.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:41 PM
  • No.  One (1) Windows 7 license permits one (1) installation and activation on just one (1) computer.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by w k Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:55 PM