After Upgrade from Vista to Windows 8, then 10, Drives show "Offline" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I just upgraded a Vista machine to Windows 8, then 10.  The vista machine was already doing backups to WHS 2011.  After the upgrade, I re-installed the connector on the Windows 10, and when I tried to back it up, it said that drives were "Offline".

So, I reconfigured the backup, the it showed something like this:

C:\

C:\ (Offline)

D:\

D:\ (Offline)

So, I unchecked the "offline" drives, and checked the new ones.  Then it worked.  Does anyone know why it duplicated the C and D drives, and one each of them was Offline?  Does it change the serial number or something like that?

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Monday, April 18, 2016 4:47 PM

Answers

• Am I right when assumimg that your C: and D: drives are logical partitions on the same physical disk? If not I don't know why your D: drive is showing offline.

It is normal that your C: drive is now showing offline (and your D: drive if the same physical disk) because the unique ID has changed.

The client computer backup database on the server knows your client from the computer name and cannot find the original drives, so they are marked offline.

Luc.

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:00 PM

All replies

• Am I right when assumimg that your C: and D: drives are logical partitions on the same physical disk? If not I don't know why your D: drive is showing offline.

It is normal that your C: drive is now showing offline (and your D: drive if the same physical disk) because the unique ID has changed.

The client computer backup database on the server knows your client from the computer name and cannot find the original drives, so they are marked offline.

Luc.

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781272

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eve That is not the answer to the question!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding about the question. And thank you for your correction.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:37 AM