WHS cannot count RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have 7 computers plus the WHS on my network. Two of the computers have inactive accounts, no more backups being made to these accounts plus a currently active account with backups being made. I tried to add a new computer to the WHS but was greated with a message that I excedded the limit of 10 computers?

By my count, I say I have 7 computers plus a WHS. Why does WHS say I have 10? Is there a way to get WHS to reset/recount the number of active computers?   
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Could there be computers in the backup database that aren't shown in the console? You should probably submit a bug report on Connect, with server logs extracted and sent using the Windows Home Server toolkit.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hi Bud,
    did you reinstall any computers in the past or did adding a computer fail?
    You also can login to your Home Server locally or via Remote Desktop, click Start/Run, type regedit navigate to the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients
    How many subkeys are listed here? (Each subkey represents one client.)
    If you find any obviously outdated entry, you could export that key, delete it, reboot the server and try, if you now can add the new computer.
    This is not a supported scenario, but something I would check on my own machine.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Bud,
    did you reinstall any computers in the past or did adding a computer fail?

Olaf

Yes to both questions, I was having WHS problems so I was adding, removing & reinstalling. Will check out the registry later need to run a couple of errands. Thank you 

Bud - Alameda, CA
    Monday, March 16, 2009 8:48 PM
  •  The registry link showed the proper number of computers and after looking at each sublink, all my computers were there. I WHS can count but does it slowly. I will adding a new computer in about a week so we'll see what happens then.

Thank you again 
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Could there be computers in the backup database that aren't shown in the console? You should probably submit a bug report on Connect, with server logs extracted and sent using the Windows Home Server toolkit.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Olaf gave me a registry link to check. It listed the right number and right names of the WHS computers. I WHS can count but does it slowly. Will be adding another computer in a week or so. We'll see what happens then. 
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:53 PM