none
Backing up and synching two similar drives

Question

• I have two laptops that each contain mostly the same files, but I have been sloppy lately and created new files on each one without backing them up.  My goal is to get them both identical and with all new and the most current versions of files. My plan is to do this with SyncToy using the synchronize function by synching each to an external HD and then from the external back to each laptop.  I just wanted to check with this forum if: (1) would this plan cause me to risk losing any updated files; and (2) is this the best way to get this done?  Thanks very much.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:31 AM

All replies

• When setting up two directories for use with SyncToy, I initially use an application called Beyond Compare by Scooter Software to compare the two directories.  I have the client present so they can confirm the relevancy of data in each directory.  Once we've moved the data around so that Beyond Compare shows no differences, I then install SyncToy for the two directories.  Knowing that both directories are mirrors before employing Synctoy to take over the job of keeping the two directories matched may be the solution you're looking for.
    Sunday, September 04, 2016 4:29 PM