Installing Money sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Money Sunset to replace money deluxe 2006 but it will not open and directs me to an MSN site which will not connect???. Also *mny files were not converted to the sunset version. Was going to sunset a mistake? I can't get to my money files, not with sunset and not if i reinstall Money 2006 which I can't proceeed with because it asks for a password which Ii never used so I have no idea what it is. I can't even download a backup of the money files which were on a flash drive. HELP
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:14 PM

Answers

•  

I would try making a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

• Marked as answer by Gene paige Monday, January 23, 2012 3:58 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Close Money. Copy your latest *.mny and your latest *.mbf files to your Documents folder. Install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset again. Open Money by double-clicking that copy of your latest *.mny file that you place into your Documents folder. If you want to restore a backup instead, double-click your latest *.mbf file instead. Do not restore to the remembered location, but instead Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new name for the restored file.

For some credit cards and brokers, you can use PocketSense to read transactions into Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Thanks Cal, It worked, but...... I signed on to Money and I got a message that said "This operation cannot be performed." The only way to get rid of that message was to go to Task Manager and close Money that way. I logged onto Money several times with the same result. In frusration I rapidly hit the "Okay" button on the "cannot be performed message" about seven or eight times and, suddenly, Money came up with all of my files intact!!!! I backed up these files and closed down Money. I then went to reopen Money and got the same error message but I hit the "okay" button rapidly again and up came my files. What gives? Why do I keep getting this error message? Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Gene

Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:51 PM
  •  

I would try making a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

• Marked as answer by Gene paige Monday, January 23, 2012 3:58 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:09 PM
  • File repair came back negative. No broken records. Also ran Anti-malware program. No viruses found. Can problem be in the Sunset? If so, how to fix? I had already unistalled and reinstalled it before I began these queries. I still get file by "pounding" the okay button a number of times when it says "operation cannot be performed" That message always comes up as Money is loading and says "looking for upcoming bills." When I finally do get Money to properly load my files it seems to take a long time to load the  "Bills" file when I request it. All the "Accounts" load quickly when I request them, as do Reports. It would seem the problem is in the Bills module but how can that be repaired?

Thanks for your help.

Gene

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:09 PM
  • I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can do that by going to your Money install folder
    and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open. Or you could just "pound" your way into your regular file. The go to
    Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

That should speed up your starting, since it sounds as if the
    "home" page may be associated with the problem starting.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    BillsAndDeposits and SpendingTracker modules.  If you still have a
    problem when you go to the "home" page, remove all modules.  If the
    problem goes away, you can add things back until the crash does not
    happen.  Add back in the other things you want on the home page.
    Let us know which was the problem module.

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Dear Cal,

All along, I have been trying to open Money by double clicking the desktop icon and getting the error message. As you suggested, I right clicked the icon and hit "open" and money opened and went to the home page with no problem. I then removed the four items on my home page:

Favorite accounts , Reminders, Bills and deposits, and spending by category, and then added them back one at a time, closing Money after each addition, and reopening to add the next module. Did not have any problems at each step. I just tried opening Money by (left) double clicking the icon and IT OPENED to the home page! In disbelief, I shut Money down again and double clicked the icon. It opened to the home page!

I can't explain it, maybe global warming is a factor???

Maybe this is a mystery you can unravel when you have nothing else to do. For now, I am happy.

Thanks again,

Gene

Monday, January 23, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Here's a guess: If your desktop icon is a shortcut to msmoney.exe (as opposed to directly to your *.mny file) money will open the last *.mny file that it had used.  If somewhere on your computer you had a corrupted version of your .mny file, and this is at the location of the last opened file, money will try to open this corrupted file and could have caused your crashes.  However when you directly opened Money by double clicking on your working file, it opened as it should.  When you closed it, Money associated your good .mny file with it.  So when you next clicked on the desktop icon, it open Money with your good .mny file.  If you want to test this do a search for *.mny on your whole hard drive and see if you find the rogue .mny file.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:59 PM
  • For sunset, the registry hive is

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Money\17.0]

The current file value is kept in

"CurrentFile"="C:\\path\\to\\somwhere\file.mny"

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:26 PM