how to disable live mesh starting when windows starts RRS feed

• Question

• how can i disable it from starting each time i start windows?  not in msconfig>startup, and a search of this forum turned up nothing
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should be seeing "Live Mesh" in the Startup tab of msconfig.  If you're not seeing it there, please go ahead and file a bug (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums).  Unfortunately, there's not really an easy way to keep all of Live Mesh from starting with Windows.  For example, the Live Mesh Remote Desktop runs as a service separate from MoeMonitor.exe, so that would have to be manually configured not to start automatically as well.

We've had a few customers request an easy way, from within the UI, to disable Live Mesh at startup.  I've added your vote for this feature to our internal list of customer suggestions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:34 PM

All replies

• Autoruns by SysInternals is always a good way to figure out where your startup programs are coming from. Check it out at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx. You can use the same program to disable start ups (uncheck them) or delete them.

For Mesh, it looks like MoeMonitor.exe is starting because it is in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Removing that key should prevent it from starting with windows, but Mesh may restore the key the first time you run it manually. Worth trying out though.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

You should be seeing "Live Mesh" in the Startup tab of msconfig.  If you're not seeing it there, please go ahead and file a bug (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums).  Unfortunately, there's not really an easy way to keep all of Live Mesh from starting with Windows.  For example, the Live Mesh Remote Desktop runs as a service separate from MoeMonitor.exe, so that would have to be manually configured not to start automatically as well.

We've had a few customers request an easy way, from within the UI, to disable Live Mesh at startup.  I've added your vote for this feature to our internal list of customer suggestions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:34 PM
  • thanks andy914, that autoruns program took care of it.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Please do include an option to diasbale automatic startup through the UI.  I have a folder with 22,000 files in it on my Mesh and it takes literally minutes for mesh to start.  I shut it down every time i start my computer unless i actually want to work with those files.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:43 AM
  • Please do include an option to diasbale automatic startup through the UI.  I have a folder with 22,000 files in it on my Mesh and it takes literally minutes for mesh to start.  I shut it down every time i start my computer unless i actually want to work with those files.

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

I suspect that there is already a request filed, so please do vote on it or file a new suggestion.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Here we are 2 years later and still no easy option to disable it?

Is Live Mesh getting some dev attention? Or is it dying?

It's still in beta and simple functionalities like disabling it are not available.

Is stamping stuff "beta" for so long becoming the new standard for saying "we know it's all bugged, don't bother filing reports we don't even care and we will do whatever we please whenever we can"?

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Here we are 2 years later and still no easy option to disable it?

Is Live Mesh getting some dev attention? Or is it dying?

It's still in beta and simple functionalities like disabling it are not available.

Is stamping stuff "beta" for so long becoming the new standard for saying "we know it's all bugged, don't bother filing reports we don't even care and we will do whatever we please whenever we can"?

See - 

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/10/coming-soon-windows-live-sync-beta.aspx

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:06 PM
  • how did i get this and how do i remove it please i dont need mesh not sure how it got there other then i updated my windows live stuff. can i remove this without goofing things up?
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:06 PM
  • how did i get this and how do i remove it please i dont need mesh not sure how it got there other then i updated my windows live stuff. can i remove this without goofing things up?

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

Run the installation of Windows Live Essentials once again and uncheck the Windows Live Mesh option to remove it. Leave a check mark next to those programs you want.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:25 PM