Update Full WHS PP1 ISO Install ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to update a WHS PP1    06.00.1771   full ISO evaluation install to 1800,

that is PP1 was included in the WHS ISO,

and is not listed under add/remove programs as a update?

If not

is it possible to download and install the original WHS 1500.6 ISO and the new PP1 1800 update and keep my data and evalulation period intact?

Or best download a new eval copy of the new full WHS with PP1 included ?

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:33 PM

Answers

• It's not possible to upgrade the evaluation software with PP1 included to the final version of Power Pack 1. If the RTM evaluation version is still available for you to download, and you can still generate a license key for it, that would be the way to go. As far as I know, Microsoft has no plans to allow downloading the evaluation software with PP1 RTM included.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:32 AM

All replies

• It's not possible to upgrade the evaluation software with PP1 included to the final version of Power Pack 1. If the RTM evaluation version is still available for you to download, and you can still generate a license key for it, that would be the way to go. As far as I know, Microsoft has no plans to allow downloading the evaluation software with PP1 RTM included.
  •  Jack_HS wrote:
    Is it possible to update a WHS PP1    06.00.1771   full ISO evaluation install to 1800,

that is PP1 was included in the WHS ISO,

and is not listed under add/remove programs as a update?

No.

Jack_HS wrote:
    If not

is it possible to download and install the original WHS 1500.6 ISO and the new PP1 1800 update and keep my data and evalulation period intact?

You would need to do a Server Reinstallation.  It will keep your data in tact.  However, if you already activated the eval previously, I don't believe you can activate it again (at least not with the same key as before).

Jack_HS wrote:
    Or best download a new eval copy of the new full WHS with PP1 included?

There is no new eval with PP1 RTM slipstreamed to download.

•  

Thanks, the original release and keys are still available on Windows Connect.

That will keep my WHS going until the full WHS with PP1 OEM is available for purchase.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:39 AM
  •  Jack_HS wrote:

Thanks, the original release and keys are still available on Windows Connect.

That will keep my WHS going until the full WHS with PP1 OEM is available for purchase.

Pardon my ignorance, but when will that be? I'd really like to get that media. I'm planning on redoing my server soon (my OS drive is IDE and it needs to change to SATA) and I'd like to have the PP1 slipstreamed into it.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:02 AM
  •  Shane Milton (Jaxidian) wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but when will that be?

MS has not made any announcements at this point.

Shane Milton (Jaxidian) wrote:
    I'd really like to get that media. I'm planning on redoing my server soon (my OS drive is IDE and it needs to change to SATA) and I'd like to have the PP1 slipstreamed into it.

If you already have WHS, I see no real benefit to buying PP1 slipstreamed (except the WHS splash screen, and I'd hardly call that worth waiting for. Wink  )

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:13 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Shane Milton (Jaxidian) wrote:
    I'd really like to get that media. I'm planning on redoing my server soon (my OS drive is IDE and it needs to change to SATA) and I'd like to have the PP1 slipstreamed into it.

If you already have WHS, I see no real benefit to buying PP1 slipstreamed (except the WHS splash screen, and I'd hardly call that worth waiting for.   )

I have this thing about liking my service packs being slipstreamed. I don't know what it is but I'm picky about that.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:19 AM
  •  Shane Milton (Jaxidian) wrote:
    I have this thing about liking my service packs being slipstreamed. I don't know what it is but I'm picky about that.

Normally, I would agree with you.  But, IMO, it's not worth it in this case.  2 reasons: First, you can't slipstream it yourself (forcing you to buy another copy and wasting $150.00).  Second, and more importantly, I think waiting for the fix for KB946676 is not wise (unless you install PP1 now, then still buy PP1 DVD slipstream later).

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:32 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Normally, I would agree with you.  But, IMO, it's not worth it in this case.  2 reasons: First, you can't slipstream it yourself (forcing you to buy another copy and wasting $150.00).  Second, and more importantly, I think waiting for the fix for KB946676 is not wise (unless you install PP1 now, then still buy PP1 DVD slipstream later).

For your reason #1, I guess I was assuming that it wouldn't be too difficult to get an ISO with PP1 slipstreamed, be it from MSDN or by buying it for $5 at Fry's like I did with Vista and Office (just media). Perhaps that's a bad assumption.

For the second reason, I already have PP1 installed. It's just that at some point I'm going to HAVE to reinstall the OS so I can have a SATA drive as my OS drive. My case has 9x 5.25" bays in it and I've put SATA backplanes in all of them except for the bottom 3 and I have a backplane to take up those 3 slots BUT I can't put it in until I get rid of ALL IDE drives. And I can't get rid of all IDE drives until I reinstall the OS onto a SATA drive. So I'd LIKE to get the PP1 slipstreamed before I do so. I don't plan on ever reinstalling the OS once I do this (at least that's the plan!). Plus, it'll rock having 13x HDDs in my WHS box. Yay for the Antec Nine Hundred and Fry's with cheap HDDs!  Big Smile
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:06 AM