Drive Extender Service Not Running RRS feed

• Question

• I have 6 PCs currently backed up on my WHS. It has 4 internal 250gb drives and I just added a USB external 500gb drive. I continually get a network at risk message saying that the drive extender service is not running. When I added the external drive, WHS shows all drives to be in good health. When I view storage space the total for all 5 drives shows available. I have deleted all backups and run cleanup. Afterwards I reviewed all attached PCs and no backups exist. After multiple reboots I continue to get the drive extender service not running message although the full storage capacity of all 5 drives remains visible. All indications are that WHS is working fine except the message. Any ideas?
    srr
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    you could try to login to the WHS desktop directly or via RemoteDesktop and run following commands in the command line to delete remains of backups, which may still be in read access by the service, damaged and so causing the service to crash.
    net stop PDL
    net stop WHSBackup
    DEL D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\*.*
    net start WHSBackup
    net start PDL

Check also the event log for error messages and warnings, which could be related.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 10, 2008 2:16 PM