Manual download from Chase CC: error importing (possible solution) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a Chase CC. Recently, Sunset MM starts showing error when I import the manually downloaded QFX file. I finally found sometimes to debug it.

Look like there are two extra tags that Sunset MM does not recognize. 

<CATEGORY>
    <MEMO>null

Removing them allow Sunset MM to import the file successfully. 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:21 PM

All replies

• Thanks for posting Hung.   I'll add a comment in my blog regarding this as it would be easy to add those tags to the scrubber script in Pocketsense if the same situation arises in those ofx downloads as well.
    Friday, October 21, 2016 4:10 PM
  • I have had the same problem in downloading from my Chase credit card with an additional twist.  My Chase web site does not offer the ofx file format, just qfx.  Up until last month I have been downloading qfx files and then changing the file type to ofx.  Then Money would import the file.  As of last month, this trick of changing the file type is no long sufficient.  The import fails.  Fortunately, I been able to successfully import the file if I edit the renamed file to delete the <CATEGORY> and <MEMO>null entries.

Many thanks to Hung for sharing this fix!

PS: Yes, I know that there are posts describing a registry change that should allow Money to import qfx files without renaming them.  Unfortunately, I could never get this to work.

Bill Becker

Sunday, October 30, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Hi Bill.  As long as you are editing anyways, simply save as .ofx file.  By the way, my Schwab accounts add memo tags and they import fine, so I really think it's just the category tags.
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:06 AM
  • The <MEMO> tag was part of the original OFX 1.02 specification, so it should not be a problem. Money will understand it.

On the other hand, <CATEGORY> is not in either the 1.02 or the 2.02 OFX specifications, so it is invalid as far as Money is concerned. This was probably something Quicken invented and added to their proprietary QFX spec.

For those who are interested, Quicken was a founding member of the OFX Consortium, and had as much input into what OFX would contain as any other member. OFX was supposed to be the standard in bank communication (sending and receiving).

Bob - MSN Mobile

Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:51 PM
  • People should call Chase and complain that they have removed the OFX downloads.  If complained several times.  Perhaps if a lot more of us do this, they will make the effort to fix this.  Note that I personally do not have this problem because I asked them to restore me to the old system.  They did this for me, but I understand that they have now refused to do this.  So I still get the regular OFX downloads for my Checking, Savings and Credit Card accounts.  (By the way the QFX accounts downloaded from the old system work fine as is, other than just changing the extension to OFX, it only with the new system that it doesn't work)
    Monday, October 31, 2016 5:04 PM
  • It seems like Chase has removed the
    <CATEGORY>
    <MEMO>null
    from the downloads, so just changing the extension to OFX is all it takes to work.
    Monday, January 9, 2017 4:26 AM