QoE Server Connectivity - Relay vs. Direct RRS feed

• Question

• We've implemented the QoE server and are wondering about one of the columns in the report: Connectivity.  We've noticed that it is usually "Direct" or "Relay' (and can be "Failed" or "HTTP-Proxy",) but we haven't been able to figure out what it actually means and under what conditions each result could be displayed?  We've thought about proxy servers and NATs and such, but haven't been able to find the answer.

I did find the Quality of Experience Monitoring Server Protocol Specification, but it doesn't give an explanation (see section 2.2.1.7).

Does anyone have a different reference for this?

Thanks
    • Edited by Sick Freak Friday, April 24, 2009 12:48 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 5:52 PM

All replies

• This is really driving me batty - can anyone help?

Today, I was reviewing a video conference call between three people that are all at the same location - on the exact same subnet.  Two of the people showed up as "Relay" but the other showed up as "Direct."  I deleted the 'callee' field, but it just showed that caller3 set up the call and gave a audio-video ID.

Caller

Start time

End time

Caller UA

Callee UA

Network MOS

Degradation Avg

Round trip time

Connectivity

sip:caller1

4/23/2009 2:28 PM

4/23/2009 2:32 PM

Communicator

A/V Conferencing Server

Relay

sip:caller2

Communicator

A/V Conferencing Server

Direct

sip:caller3

Communicator

A/V Conferencing Server

Relay

Any thoughts?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Direct, if the call was within the LAN or Relay, if it was through an A/V Edge Server.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I wish that was true.  With a conference - everyone must go through the A/V Edge server - that's the way it's designed.  With all three of these people on the exact same subnet and sitting near each other, I would figure that the connectivity would be the exact same, but it's not.

When people do a PC-PC call - sometimes a person will show as direct and sometimes as relay - from the same machine in the same location (not a laptop.)

BTW - we treat everyone as external.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:53 PM
  • I notice the same behaviour for a particular installation I've done where 100% of users are remotely connected.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason why this happens.  I've placed calls from the MOC client to the PSTN while logged on remotely one after the other and one call will show as relay and the other direct. 
    I believe it must be a bug.  Anyone else see this?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 1:35 AM
  • I've never received any other feedback on this.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:57 PM