windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• i did a bad thing i think, i was trying to set up remote access and i log in to the server and change the server IP adress to a fix ip adress understanding that it would be accessible direct by the internet....now i can log on to the server with the console from any pc 

I have important file that i wish to recover before reseting anything....what to do.

thank you 

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:10 AM

Answers

• thank you  for your help Phil and Ken

i found a local network expert that was able to log on by re-adressing his own pc

to thae adress i change my server

then i was able to reset the ip to auto

thank you again 

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• Can you log in locally directly to the server and change it back. If not, do you remember what IP address you set it to? If so, try RDP from a local computer using that IP address and change the IP back to what it was.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, August 15, 2011 11:34 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Logging in locally, via attached monitor, would be best if you can do it. Failing that, some networking tools are capable of determining a computer's IP address if you know it's MAC address, or your router may be able to tell you the same information.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 2:03 AM
  • thank you  for your help Phil and Ken

i found a local network expert that was able to log on by re-adressing his own pc

to thae adress i change my server

then i was able to reset the ip to auto

thank you again 

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:00 AM