none
Live Mail won't open saved .eml files.

Question

• I started using Live Mail months ago on my XP Pro pc since I knew Outlook Express would not be available in Win 7. I have several emails I had saved to my documents that open fine in WLM in XP but will not open in WLM in 7. Even if I save a new email to a folder in 7 when I try to open it I'm asked to associate the file with a program. I select Windows Live Mail and to no avail WLM will not open the saved file. When saving the email it gives the file the .eml extension so why won't WLM open it? WLM after all created the file and extension. I have to use Mozilla Thunderbird or boot up my old XP machine to view these files. Is there a fix in the works? Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Greg
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:50 PM

Answers

• The fix is in folks. I contacted Windows Live Support and was given the following solution. Be sure to save all your emails and if you don't find an entry in regedit for the second part don't worry I couldn't either but the first registry tweak took care of the issue. Also you may not find Windows Live Mail in you remove programs so just click Windows Live Essentials and choose ONLY Windows Live Mail to be uninstalled. This will all make sense once you follow the links. Best of luck, I hope you issues are solved as mine are.

Greg

Thank you for writing back to Windows Live Mail Technical Support. This is Janet and I am the Subject Matter Expert from the team. I have read your issue opening .eml attachments when using Windows Live Mail under Windows 7 operating system. I know how important it is for you to have your issue addressed.

Greg, the problem you are experiencing may be happening because the program may be corrupted or may not be properly installed.  To help resolve this issue, we need to do a "clean removal" procedure, which completely removes Windows Live Mail from the computer.  Unlike the usual re-installation, this process requires deleting certain entries from your registry.  This method will fix some installation issues and other problems. 

Before you do the "clean removal" procedure, please take note of the important pointers below to avoid losing your messages. 

- If you have a POP3 or IMAP account configured in your e-mail program, please make sure that all your messages are located in your e-mail provider's server.

Then, please follow the step-by-step instructions on how to perform a "clean removal" in the following link:

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!13202.entry?sa=681444564

Note: The "How to remove Windows Live Mail" link has instructions on how to remove the latest and older versions of Windows Live Mail.  Since you cannot check which version you are using, please try to follow the one that is applicable.

After you have done the "clean removal," download and install the latest version [14.0.8089.0726 ] from http://download.live.com.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Mail.

Sincerely,

Janet B.
    Windows Live Mail Technical Support

• Marked as answer by 7472 FTF Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:43 PM

All replies

• The fix is in folks. I contacted Windows Live Support and was given the following solution. Be sure to save all your emails and if you don't find an entry in regedit for the second part don't worry I couldn't either but the first registry tweak took care of the issue. Also you may not find Windows Live Mail in you remove programs so just click Windows Live Essentials and choose ONLY Windows Live Mail to be uninstalled. This will all make sense once you follow the links. Best of luck, I hope you issues are solved as mine are.

Greg

Thank you for writing back to Windows Live Mail Technical Support. This is Janet and I am the Subject Matter Expert from the team. I have read your issue opening .eml attachments when using Windows Live Mail under Windows 7 operating system. I know how important it is for you to have your issue addressed.

Greg, the problem you are experiencing may be happening because the program may be corrupted or may not be properly installed.  To help resolve this issue, we need to do a "clean removal" procedure, which completely removes Windows Live Mail from the computer.  Unlike the usual re-installation, this process requires deleting certain entries from your registry.  This method will fix some installation issues and other problems. 

Before you do the "clean removal" procedure, please take note of the important pointers below to avoid losing your messages. 

- If you have a POP3 or IMAP account configured in your e-mail program, please make sure that all your messages are located in your e-mail provider's server.

Then, please follow the step-by-step instructions on how to perform a "clean removal" in the following link:

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!13202.entry?sa=681444564

Note: The "How to remove Windows Live Mail" link has instructions on how to remove the latest and older versions of Windows Live Mail.  Since you cannot check which version you are using, please try to follow the one that is applicable.

After you have done the "clean removal," download and install the latest version [14.0.8089.0726 ] from http://download.live.com.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Mail.

Sincerely,

Janet B.
    Windows Live Mail Technical Support

• Marked as answer by 7472 FTF Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Here's my fix for this problem with Windows Live Mail and Windows 7,

I did not have any part of Windows Live Mail in the default programs nor did I have .eml has an extension.

Control Panel -- Programs -- Programs and Features -- Windows Live Essentials -- Repair

Now everything is where it is suppose to
    Friday, January 01, 2010 4:11 PM