none
VB6, Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008 32bit inplace Upgrade

Question

• First of all, I'm not the coder.  I'm just the sys admin who needs to upgrade the 2003 server due to EOL support from MS.  Will VB6 with SP6 run after doing an inplace upgrade from Server 2003 to 2008 all 32bit.  Also this is in a VM environment too.  All I did was do the upgrade, and apply all the latest patches from WU for 2008.

I'm getting an error:

my first error was with the Just in Time Debugging tool, I found some forums that mentioned deleting two registry keys, I did that and I think that part worked, however i'm now getting the next error.

Faulting application VB6.exe version 6.0.97.82, time stamp XXXXXXXX, faulting module ntdll.dll version 6.0.6002.18881

one of my questions is, is it possible to do an inplace upgrade of 2003 to 2008 and still have your VB work correctly?

Thanks,

• Moved by Shu 2017 Friday, April 17, 2015 1:28 AM from C++ forum
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Probably not.

VB6 has been out of support for a very long time.

I’d suggest asking in one of the following third-party forums which support Visual Basic 6.

VB forums

VB City

For further information, see: Where to post your VB 6 questions

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Depends on the code really but you may just need to install the runtime files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290887

As far as the in-place upgrade it is not up to the OS, it depends on the code and possibly developer methods used. Typically I'd expect to recompile EXE and build a new package for new operating system deployment.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Probably not.

VB6 has been out of support for a very long time.

I’d suggest asking in one of the following third-party forums which support Visual Basic 6.

VB forums

VB City

For further information, see: Where to post your VB 6 questions

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Depends on the code really but you may just need to install the runtime files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290887

As far as the in-place upgrade it is not up to the OS, it depends on the code and possibly developer methods used. Typically I'd expect to recompile EXE and build a new package for new operating system deployment.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:21 PM