Beklin Network USB Hub. RRS feed

• Question

• Have been trying to get a Belkin USB network hub (F5L009UK latest FW and SW) to work on WHS (PP2 and 3).
    I have installed the Belkin software in XP mode and run in XP mode.
    WHS sees the hub but wont connect to any drives.... Says 'Connecting to .... Please wait' then comes back after approx 15 secs with no error, but hasnt connected. I beleive that people have been able to get this hub workiing with W2003R2 server.
    Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:21 AM

Answers

•  to a system that uses network software to connect the USB data to the client
    and this is SAN like technology, which is not supported by Windows Home Server unfortunately. (Independend if wired or wireless.)
    The only supported methods to connect disks to the storage pool are IDE, SATA, eSATA, SCSI, FIREWIRE, USB (the last can be very fragile).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• I see, that the device is a wireless device, and therefore attached drives are not seen as physical drives via WHS. In best case they work as SAN (Storage Area Network) drives (which explains, why specific software is needed), which does not help with the special needs of Windows Home Server. So you might be able to see the disks, if you logon to the desktop locally, but this is unsiupported and there is no way to integrate those into the storage pool.

Olaf

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:40 PM
  • No, the device is NOT Wireless, it connects to a router and can be used to put up USB devices to a system that uses network software to connect the USB data to the client. It can be used with a wireless router to enable wireless connection of USB devices, but I am not trying to do that. I am trying to connect USB large capacity drives to the WHServer for backups.

Ken
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:36 PM
  •  to a system that uses network software to connect the USB data to the client
    and this is SAN like technology, which is not supported by Windows Home Server unfortunately. (Independend if wired or wireless.)
    The only supported methods to connect disks to the storage pool are IDE, SATA, eSATA, SCSI, FIREWIRE, USB (the last can be very fragile).
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:15 PM
  • And yet it is supported under W2003 server !!

Such is life !

Thanks

Ken
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:43 PM