Can't download from the microsoft.com site RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there, i'm having some very annoying and frustrating problems with downloading from microsoft's download center lately. It seems no matter what i download or on which PC (5 total) in our household, NONE will download, i keep getting these error messages from internet explorer, Firefox, and opera, allthough opera doesn't give me any errors, just a blank page.

I really am at total loss for what is causing this. I have tried to search google countless times for people with similar problems, and i found some appearant solutions, but none of them seem to work. Is there chance it could be by modem, router or ISP that is causing this problem? Since it seems all PCs will fail to download anything from microsoft.com?

My OS is Windows XP Proffesional and it's fully validated and activated, and the connection is by wireless.

Firefox:

Failed to Connect
     Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
        * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network connection.
        * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Internet explorer:

Cannot find server a:link {font:8pt/11pt verdana; color:red} a:visited {font:8pt/11pt verdana; color:#4e4e4e}

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

• Click the refresh.gif (82 bytes) Refresh button, or try again later.
    • If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    • To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    • See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
      1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
      2. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
      3. Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
    • Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    • If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

Here's hoping for solutions here. :S
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:39 AM

Answers

• Good Morning Glenn,

We understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Windows” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:02 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 6:30 PM

All replies

• Good Morning Glenn,

We understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Windows” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:02 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I have the same problem. After years without problems, all of the sudden the download sessions don't start but a "The page cannot be displayed"-message appears instead. My pc runs on a genuine XP home version and is connected via a router. All other internet pages can be accessed without problems and also downloads from other sites work without problems. Only the download sessions from Microsoft won't start.
    The solutions given in the reply above, don't fix the problem for me. The last suggestion cannot be performed for my pc doesn't download that site. Can this have anything to do with port forwarding?
    Please help.

The Duke.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Hello DutchDuke,

Please repost your question in the Windows Expert Zone newsgroups:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx

Good Luck!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Hi Glenn, I'm sure you've solved the problem by now, but just for the sake of sharing a solution with the rest of the community I thought I'd post what fixed it for me here.

Set your DNS server address to Obtain automatically

In terms of Antivirus, Firewall and Download Accelerators I had all on and operational at their default settings. This was not a part of the problem for me.

To fix the problem I went to...

Start --> Control Panel --> Network Connections

Right click on you existing Network Connection to bring up the Properties window.

Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the sub window and click on the Properties button.

Select

Obtain an IP address automatically

AND

Obtain DNS server address automatically

Save your settings and go to the Windows Update site or use the Windows Update service.

That should fix it, providing your other network settings are set to their defaults. I hope this helps some of you out.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:11 AM