"Low Power" or "Speed" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Looking at 3 processors

Pentium E2160 - 1.8Ghz dual core 1meg cache - 65W - supports SpeedStep and Enhanced HALT State (8W)

Celeron E1200 - 1.6Ghz dual core 512meg cache - 65W - supports SpeedStep and Enhanced HALT State (8W)

Celeron 420 - 1.6Ghz single core 512meg cache - 35W - supports Enhanced HALT State (8W)

Questions:

How low wattage wise will SpeedStep let the processor go? I can't find this info ANYWHERE, even in Intel spec docs.

Anyone have real-use info on the capabilities of each processor?  For simple file streaming the 420 would be fine, so I might as well get that.  What about twonkymedia, slimserver? That'd also be fine on the 420 right?  But then what about Sage? Maybe I'd have to go E1200 or higher to get that to work?  Sage with transcoding, might have to have E2160?

Not many mentions of the 8W HALT state mode these processors support, does this even work?

Lots of tests/reviews listing power efficiency of power supplies, but what about the motherboard?  Is there a info on the net about power efficiency of different motherboard brands/models?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

•  rredman wrote:

Looking at 3 processors

Pentium E2160 - 1.8Ghz dual core 1meg cache - 65W - supports SpeedStep and Enhanced HALT State (8W)

Celeron E1200 - 1.6Ghz dual core 512meg cache - 65W - supports SpeedStep and Enhanced HALT State (8W)

Celeron 420 - 1.6Ghz single core 512meg cache - 35W - supports Enhanced HALT State (8W)

Questions:

How low wattage wise will SpeedStep let the processor go? I can't find this info ANYWHERE, even in Intel spec docs.

For a default WHS server setup, I would recommend the Celeron 420. With a normal WHS, it's all about I/O throughput and a faster CPU won't help much with that.

Anyone have real-use info on the capabilities of each processor?  For simple file streaming the 420 would be fine, so I might as well get that.  What about twonkymedia, slimserver? That'd also be fine on the 420 right?  But then what about Sage? Maybe I'd have to go E1200 or higher to get that to work?  Sage with transcoding, might have to have E2160?

Some folks want their WHS boxe to do everything, But that sort of defeats the purpose IMO. My idea of a server is a central repository for information. Screw the TV shows, I'll just download those.

Not many mentions of the 8W HALT state mode these processors support, does this even work?

Well, I know when my computer sleeps, the fans stop which indicates the CPU has little to no power, that's good enough for me.

Lots of tests/reviews listing power efficiency of power supplies, but what about the motherboard?  Is there a info on the net about power efficiency of different motherboard brands/models?

I think you're getting carried away, just stick to the major brands for motherboard and you'll be okay.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:43 PM
  •  rredman wrote:

Looking at 3 processors

Questions:

I had the same problem finding SpeedStep data, and I believe it's because the implementation is MB and BIOS dependent.  FWIW, my Q9450 on a Gigabyte P35 uses 1.12375v at the highest multiplier (8x) and 1.15v at the lowest SpeedStep setting (6x).  My mobile T5500 uses 1.2v (I think) at 10x and 0.95v at 6x.

rredman wrote:

With a $25 difference between the 420 and the 2160 and the subjective nature of the issues, it would be very difficult to answer these questions.  Spend the $25 for flexibility if nothing else.  Undervolt it for power savings.  I have the Q9450 undervolted to 0.99375 VID and Prime95 stable at stock frequency; the E2160 has room below stock voltage too.

rredman wrote:

I am not sure if WHS plays well with any sleep/halt states, but there are work-arounds in these forums.  Also these power-savings capabilties are highly MB and BIOS dependent.

rredman wrote:

Here's a good place to start: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=28

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:16 PM
  •  

one vote for Celeron 420, and one for E2160. Dead even!

I'm still interested in the motherboard stuff. I was going to get a 945G video chipset board, since they are the cheapest (as low as $40) but then I started looking at the intel specs and found this info:

945G - max TDP 22.2 W

G31 - idle 7.4 W, max TDP 15.5 W

G33 - idle 5.75 W, max TDP 13 W

G35 - idle 11 W, max TDP 28 W

X38 - idle 12.3 W, max TDP 26.5 W
    X48 - idle 15.1 W, max TDP 30.5 W

So G31 or G33 looks the best.  G31 and above also support new 45nm processors which are coming soon

So what about south bridge?

G31 uses ICH7, 2.9 to 3.3 W

G33 uses ICH9, 3.4 to 4.3 W

G35 uses ICH8, 3.0 to 4.1 W

Then I found someone else already collected this info. haha

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35078

Here's comparison of G33 motherboards including power consumption

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3111&p=21

I haven't found anything similar for G31 yet.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:06 PM
  • rredman, I've got to commend you for trying so hard to save power. You must remember to publish your findings here.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:28 PM
  • The one recommendation I would make in choosing the motherboard is to pick one that has plenty of SATA and IDE ports on it! I made the mistake of getting a motherboard with only 4 SATA ports on it and now I have 2 different 4x SATA controllers in it to be able to use all of the drives I want to use.

-Shane

Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:00 PM