XP Safe Mode Loop RRS feed

• Question

•  

I seem to be unexplainably stuck in a safe mode loop. I used my computer (Toshiba Satellite) on Sunday up until 2am Monday morning without incident.

Upon using my computer on Monday morning 10am, it was sluggish and eventually froze up. I forced my computer to shut down by holding the power button. Upon restarting my computer it went into safe mode. I selected "Start as Normal". After selecting that it start normally, the windows screen pops up for about 5 sec, then it goes right back to the safe mode screen.

I have no idea if the computer received any updates between Sunday late night and Monday morning. I have since taken the computer into a local electronics store where the guy ran a few test, one of which required him to take my hard drive out and hook it to something, he then hook the opposite end of this device to a second computer and my hard drive was still accessable...i guess.

Long story short the guy at the electronics store said my hard drive was bad...he could tell by the way it felt while it was running . A friend of the family says it sounds like some part of my operating system is corrupt. This person sent me a couple of file and had me make cd-roms (boot disk) even after adjusting the computer to read from the cd-rom, these cd still didn't make the computer boot up.

Somebody please help me, I am very upset about this, and I really just want my computer to work again! If you need more details please don't hesitate to ask. I am not a very computer literate person but I will do my best.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:37 PM

Answers

• Kittyboo2121,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge.

You may need to hire a local pc technician to fix  your computer safe mode loop issues. With that taken care of, you can go forward with the assistance of our forums with regard to your Windows update issues.

You can also go to the Toshiba channel for further sources of information:

Email  http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp or call 1-(800)-457-7777

Lori MS

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:05 PM