locked
Duplicate detection rule preventing record from saving RRS feed

  • Question

  • In CRM 4.0 with UR3, I have created a duplicate detection rule for contacts: where e-mail address is exact match and status is exact match. Unfortunately the rule triggers when a contact is saved with no email address (CRM think it matches all 9,293 contacts that also have no email address), and when this is the case some edits to the CRM form are not saved. For example, if I add a value to the Suffix field it is saved, but if I remove the value from the Salutation field it is not saved and the Salutation value is the same before and after the save operation.

    Any ideas why?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:46 PM
    Moderator

Answers

All replies

  • Neil,

    Try this on the duplication rule. Instead of using an exact match, use Same First Characters and enter 100 or the maximum length of your email field. This should eliminate the matching on the null email fields and solve your issue out of the gate.

    Jerry
    http://www.crminnovation.com

    Jerry http://www.crminnovation.com
    Monday, January 18, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Jerry, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortuately, when I changed the rule to compare the first 16 chartacters of the email address, contacts with no email address are still detected as duplicates.

    Perhaps it takes some time for new matchcodes to be generated, so I'll keep an eye on things, but no luck so far. 
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:48 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Neil,
    Did you checked Duplicate Detection extension (another wonderfully OrbitOne tool). http://mscrmplugins.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Matchname%20Plugin&referringTitle=Home
    I'm using it on the one client so if you want I can check tomorrow somehow. 
    Other solution but not nice it will be populate company name to email address field if this will be empty. This will cause additional user training.  
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Neil,

    Don't do just the first 16 characters, set it to the full length of the field, then it will work.

    Jerry http://www.crminnovation.com
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:49 PM
  • I had the exact same problem with UR 7 and still trying to fix it.  Its too bad it doesnt auto filter out blank fields. I updated it to 20 and Im still getting an error but nothing shows up in the log except the user can not be found error that UR  9 fixes. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:20 PM