Queues & Queue Owners RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've got MS CRM 3.0 running at a company with 5 people in an account enquiry department;

I've set up a queue for all emails directed to accounts@company.com

The idea is for the account enquiry department to monitor the Accounts Queue and to accept emails from the queue;

I've selected my User Name as Queue Owner (settings - business units - queues);

It seems like all queue items appears in My Word-Assigned...is this due to me being the queue owner?

Would it appear in my My Work-Assigned even if someone else accepted it from the queue?

Anywhere I can find more info on using queues?

Thanks in advance! 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you are right, It is most probably because you are the owner (another reason can be if those emails regarding field have some object which is owned by you) but you will not see those emails or activities in your assigned queue once someone else accept those from queue. You may be able to see those activities if you have read rights on those records but you will not see them listed in your assigned queue.

It is better if you can also test these scenarios and confirm it, if I am correct or missing something.

Some Info about queues (From Book: Microsoft.Press.Working.with.Microsoft.Dynamics.CRM.3.0)

• You can use queues for any type of business activity that uses activities, including incoming sales requests and marketing tasks. You should not consider queues as strictly a customer service tool.

• Queues do not own records, so assigning an item to a queue will not change its ownership (or trigger the workflow assign event), but it will add the item to the queue.

• Although assigning an item to a queue will not change ownership, assigning a queue item to a user will change the ownership of the item.

• Items listed in the queue respect the Microsoft CRM security settings regarding which records each user can read, write, delete, and so on. However, all users can view all the queues and all the items in the queue (even though Microsoft CRM won't allow them to open a record for which they don't have access).

• You can configure multiple queues to suit various business needs.

• If you set up an e-mail alias to automatically create queue items, Microsoft CRM will not automatically create Cases for each e-mail message sent to the alias. You must do this manually or with custom programming code.

• Queues are not a customizable entity, so you cannot modify the columns that appear for the queue folders.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:54 PM