none
Synchronizing non Exchange mail servers RRS feed

• Question

• As I wait for the budget to allow an upgrade to Exchange, I must, alas, use another solution for my mail server.    High on my wishlist is the ability to have two concurrent servers, one serving as a backup, so in the event of a total meltdown, I can just switch the IP addresses of the 2 servers.  This would provide minimum  downtime.  My mailserver has a very good backup/restore procedure, but my mail “store” is around 300 gig, so this takes quite some time.

They said that if I were running the mail server on Linux I could use rsync to keep the two servers…  since it’s on Windows, would  Synctoy  perform this same function?

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:09 PM

Answers

• If you can gurantee that only one set of files is ever actively touched you can use SyncToy to backup to the other non-active set. Before you fail over to the other store, make sure you synchronize all latest changes from the active side to non-active side, after the fail over, the sync will switch directions.

SyncToy is not designed to support syncing of files that are actively changing on both sides. This will end up causing conflicts during sync which causes SyncToy to just pick one of the files and move on - and could lead to inadvertent data loss for the users if they were looking for the changes within the files to merge with each other.

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• If you can gurantee that only one set of files is ever actively touched you can use SyncToy to backup to the other non-active set. Before you fail over to the other store, make sure you synchronize all latest changes from the active side to non-active side, after the fail over, the sync will switch directions.

SyncToy is not designed to support syncing of files that are actively changing on both sides. This will end up causing conflicts during sync which causes SyncToy to just pick one of the files and move on - and could lead to inadvertent data loss for the users if they were looking for the changes within the files to merge with each other.

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your reply,  The failover server would be basically dormant, only receiving data FROM Synctoy, so it looks like this might work. 

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Update:

By the way, the mailserver I am using is Kerio.

I have had very good success using Robocopy.  After performing the initial restore to the failover using Kerio's utility, Robocopy has been doing a great job updating the failover machine.  It takes about 3+ hours to run through the entire store, and I have it set to monitor for a very low # of changes, so it always just kicks right back in as soon as it finishes.  I have tested this by stopping Robocopy, enabling the mailserver on the failover machine, and connecting to it locally via it's webmail, and Voila! There is today's mail! 
    I have already used this several times to recover user's mail deleted in error. TWO people actually deleted an entire subfolder, which I restored in no time. 

Since it backs up ALL mail which eventually gets deleted by the users, the failover is much larger than the live store.  In order to be able to restore accidentally deleted mail, I do NOT have Robocopy delete the deleted mail on the failover.  However Kerio keeps a junk mail folder, and a "deleted items" folder for each user, which gets filled up quickly.  For those I actually use scripts supplied to me by a tech at Kerio, which looks for mail in these folders going back X # of days and deletes them.  It's been working very nicely.  Robocopy has a handy "pause for x milliseconds" switch to ease the bandwith usage.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:37 PM