What does the CRM Deployment Manager do? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up a dev environment following the kb for redeployment.  Installed CRM, applied rollups, restored organization database from production to dev SQL Server.  Now I'm running the deployment manager to bring that organization into CRM.

It's been running for about a day now.  What is it doing?  How long can it take to make a handful of entries into the MSCRM_CONFIG database?  What does it need to do to the organization database beyond just using it as is once it knows where to look?

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:32 PM

Answers

• The Help in Deployment Manager has this information on mapping users:

On the Select Method for Mapping Users page, select from the following fields, and then click Next:

Keep existing user mappings. Select this option if you want to keep the existing user mappings in the organization database. Typically, you can select this option if you are importing an organization database located in the same Active Directory domain as the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server where the organization is to be imported.
    Manually map users. Select this option if you want to manually map each user.
    Generate a new mapping file. Select this option to create a sample XML mapping file. Then, you can exit the wizard, modify the user mapping file to select how users are imported, and then run the Wizard again. The user mapping file is created in the drive:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Tools folder.
    Auto-map users. Select this option if you want to automatically map the user settings by selecting from the following options:

Active Directory account name. Select this option if you want to use the User logon name that is set in Active Directory.
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 full name to Active Directory full name. Select this option if you want to use the display or full name that is set in Active Directory.
    Prefix. Select this option if you want to create a prefix, with an appended numeric value, for each user.
    Use existing mapping file. Select this option if you have created a mapping file to import users. Then, type the full path and file name in the text box, or click Browse to locate and select the user mapping file.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:58 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:53 AM

All replies

• The main point of the import organization part of deployment manager is to update references between CRM users and Active Directory users. I'm surprised that it is still running. Is the database very large?

Perhaps this article might help:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977867

• Proposed as answer by The Great Believer Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mardukes Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:38 PM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:43 PM
  • The mdf is 30 GB.

This is a dev environment.  It is not privy to the "real" active directory and all but one of CRM users will not be found.  The only user I mapped was the administrator.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:09 PM
  • As far as I recall, you must map all users in the CRM database to AD accounts - this may mean that you will have to create sufficient AD users in your dev environment. Also, an AD account can only map to one CRM user.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Where are the instructions?  All I did was generate a mapping file and left everyone blank except the admin which I mapped to the local admin account.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:47 PM
  • The Help in Deployment Manager has this information on mapping users:

On the Select Method for Mapping Users page, select from the following fields, and then click Next:

Keep existing user mappings. Select this option if you want to keep the existing user mappings in the organization database. Typically, you can select this option if you are importing an organization database located in the same Active Directory domain as the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server where the organization is to be imported.
    Manually map users. Select this option if you want to manually map each user.
    Generate a new mapping file. Select this option to create a sample XML mapping file. Then, you can exit the wizard, modify the user mapping file to select how users are imported, and then run the Wizard again. The user mapping file is created in the drive:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Tools folder.
    Auto-map users. Select this option if you want to automatically map the user settings by selecting from the following options:

Active Directory account name. Select this option if you want to use the User logon name that is set in Active Directory.
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 full name to Active Directory full name. Select this option if you want to use the display or full name that is set in Active Directory.
    Prefix. Select this option if you want to create a prefix, with an appended numeric value, for each user.
    Use existing mapping file. Select this option if you have created a mapping file to import users. Then, type the full path and file name in the text box, or click Browse to locate and select the user mapping file.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:58 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:53 AM