Documentation for deploying Non-Domain joined Compute Node in HPC 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

The link underneath claims that from HPC 2016 I can add nodes which are not domain joined.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt744887(v=ws.11).aspx

Non-domain-joined Windows compute nodes – The cluster administrator can set up a Windows compute node which is not domain-joined. A local account will be created and used when a job is executed on this type of node.

Are there any examples in any piece of documentation on how to achieve that?

I have a HN that is joined to AD and a CN that is not domain joined, but resides on the same subnet.

The link here talks about manually joining a CN to the domain before joining the cluster, which is not what I want.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt791811(v=ws.11).aspx

When installing HPC Pack on the CN, I tried specifying cluster name as FQDN or short name of the head node, but neither worked. The communication certificate used is self-signed with subject name matching HN's FQDN.

I am using HPC 2016 update 1.

Monday, February 26, 2018 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Oskar,

You shall input the hostname, and make the hostname pingable by either of the following two ways:

1. put an entry for head node hostname in the hosts file.

2. Add DNS suffix search in the TCP/IP advanced settings of your NIC.

Friday, March 2, 2018 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Oskar,

Could you try to ping the head node with hostname or FQDN?

You must make sure the head node is reachable by setting a correct DNS server or modifying the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file before you install the compute node.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:47 AM
  • The head node can be pinged from the compute node using it's FQDN, but not the hostname.

Does it mean I need to set the hosts file to point Head node's hostname to it's IP?

Also, when installing the compute node, should I put in the Head node's hostname or FQDN as cluster name?

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Hi Oskar,

You shall input the hostname, and make the hostname pingable by either of the following two ways:

1. put an entry for head node hostname in the hosts file.

2. Add DNS suffix search in the TCP/IP advanced settings of your NIC.

Friday, March 2, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Thank you. I tried (1) and it worked:

I uninstalled server components.

Configured HPC Communication certificate.

Configured hosts file to point head node's hostname to its IP. I guess a better way would be (2) if the IP was not static.

Re-installed server components putting in head node's hostname as cluster name and certificate.

Friday, March 2, 2018 1:55 PM