DLNA - getting it working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I called Microsoft today to see if DLNA compliance is part of Windows Home Server and they told me it is.  I need help getting this working.  It is either a bug or I am missing something.  I have not installed anything on the server to enable DLNA compliance.

I am trying to access the Windows Home Server from an LCD TV that supports DLNA, when I search for servers it does see the Windows Home Server but the message is that it is not DLNA compliant.  The TV is working as it can see a Windows XP Pro computer and verifies it as DLNA compliant.

The Windows Home Server is a new install (today) with all of the latest critical updates as of today, The hardware is an Intel D945GCLF2 with an Atom 1.6Ghz processor

With my limited knowledge of DLNA and comparing it with the Windows XP Pro computer I could be a bug in WHS.  My thoughts are WHS will only allow Windows Media Player 10 to be installed, the XP Pro computer had Media Player 11 installed.  My understanding is the there are Windows Media Connect upgrades in in Media Player 11 that might might be necessary to get this working.  Media Player 11 cannot be installed on Windows Home Server.

I appreciate any help or advice you can provide.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:21 AM

All replies

• I'm assuming you have WHS setup to share stuff in the settings..  There happens to be a guide around here that explains how to install media player 11 onto WHS.  I would suggest trying that.  In order to play certain types of media to my PS3 I had to install 11.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Enchanter said:

I'm assuming you have WHS setup to share stuff in the settings..  There happens to be a guide around here that explains how to install media player 11 onto WHS.  I would suggest trying that.  In order to play certain types of media to my PS3 I had to install 11.

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.

FYI, installing WMP11 (or any other app that requires server desktop access to install) is unsupported on WHS.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Thanks for the input so far.  I have found the article and will give this a try and let you know the results. 
    Friday, December 12, 2008 11:43 PM
  • You need to enable the guest account on WHS. The guest account on WHS is turned off by default.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:59 PM
  • You could try a different media server, Sybas do one called myihome. It's easy to setup and supports most formats unlike the default media connetor.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Thanks for all of your help and suggestions the installation of Windows Media Player 11 worked.

DLNA is not working or compliant on WHS in its current release with updates, however, installing Windows Media Player 11 on WHS makes it DLNA compliant.  As Windows Media Player 11 isn't "properly" installable on WHS I will be posting a suggestion to the suggestions forums.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:57 AM
  • I know this is old but i read somewhere that the WHS does not come DLNA compliant.  You must install something like Twonky to make it DLNA compliant.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:49 AM