Need your opinion Mr. Stephen Boot RRS feed

• Question

• What Internet security suite are you going to use after onecare? I will use whatever suite you suggest.
    Thank you in advance for your honest answer.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:34 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare General)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:26 AM

Answers

• I'm going to move your post to the General folder and perhaps others will chime in.
    I'm honored that you are interested in my advice on this topic. :-)

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing what Morro is like and will probably switch my PCs to use that. I currently run Avast on my Windows 7 test machines, since OneCare won't run on it. There are, of course, many other solutions out there and it depends on what you are looking for. Malware protection is only one part of safe computing and I'll miss OneCare's monitoring of many aspects of a system's security.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• I'm going to move your post to the General folder and perhaps others will chime in.
    I'm honored that you are interested in my advice on this topic. :-)

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing what Morro is like and will probably switch my PCs to use that. I currently run Avast on my Windows 7 test machines, since OneCare won't run on it. There are, of course, many other solutions out there and it depends on what you are looking for. Malware protection is only one part of safe computing and I'll miss OneCare's monitoring of many aspects of a system's security.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I am interested in this as well. To be honest, having just bought OneCare without knowing that it is going to phase out I am slightly disappointed that I won't be able to renew my subscription once it expires next year. I like OneCare and the concept behind and I do not fully understand why Microsoft chose to skip it.

Anyway, I have been using Avira Antivir for many years and was actually quite content. I am looking forward to have a look at Morro, but if it only provides a very basic protection against malware, then I probably will return to Avira. My third choice would be F-Secure, but I've heard that this programme really tends to slow down your pc.

Stephen, are there any informations out yet regarding the features that Morro will include?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:12 PM
  • First, thank you for your reply, sir. What do you think about Zone Alarm Internet security suite? Do you think it will be a good one to switch over after onecare? Any of you guys out there have any suggestion? Thanks.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Habgood.
    No, details about Morro have not yet been provided. All I know is what was in the announcement and that is that it will be a free anti-virus program. It will either run alongside Defender or will incorporate Defender's protection as OneCare currently does. The latter is likely since the engine is the same, but the signatures used by OneCare are more comprehensive than those for Defender.
    I do not expect it to provide any other features, relying instead on the Windows firewall and built in Windows utilities, including the Security Center.
    -steve
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:19 PM
  • ikanttell said:

First, thank you for your reply, sir. What do you think about Zone Alarm Internet security suite? Do you think it will be a good one to switch over after onecare? Any of you guys out there have any suggestion? Thanks.

Personally, I do not care for the Zone Alarm suite. There is no harm in trying it out when the OneCare subscription runs out. Your experience with it may be better than mine. :-) I've had to deal with problems it caused on PCs people were having connectivity problems with. The same can be said for the McAfee and Norton suites and my experience.

-steve
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:22 PM