Windows 7: Black Screen - This copy of windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I had issues with my old hdd.  The system partition was corrupt and I could not make a disk image or full hdd backup, nor could I eventually boot with it.  Sooo, I went out and bought a new hdd.  I could still see and access all the files on my old hdd and not wanting to lose all my installed programs and personal files, I xcopied the whole drive to my new one.  When I try to boot using the new drive I get up to the windows login screen but when I try to logon to myself or even Administrator, some type comes up saying it is preparing the desktop, THEN I get this black screen with type at the bottom right corner saying:  Windows 7;  Build 7600;  This copy of windows is not genuine.  No matter what I do, I cannot get past this black window into Windows.

I have searched the net for solutions to no avail as all posts pertain to getting into the Windows enviroment.  I am not able to get there.  I have tried Safe Mode, Startup Repair, SFC /scannow.  I believe I need to re-activate my LEGAL copy of Win7 Ultimate but I can't even get into the Windows enviroment to do so.

Is there a way to activate my Win7 from outside the windows enviroment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:26 PM

Answers

• "DreamMaker888" wrote in message news:a4be5834-a5b1-482c-8611-1884e3b2284c...

I had issues with my old hdd.  The system partition was corrupt and I could not make a disk image or full hdd backup, nor could I eventually boot with it.  Sooo, I went out and bought a new hdd.  I could still see and access all the files on my old hdd and not wanting to lose all my installed programs and personal files, I xcopied the whole drive to my new one.  When I try to boot using the new drive I get up to the windows login screen but when I try to logon to myself or even Administrator, some type comes up saying it is preparing the desktop, THEN I get this black screen with type at the bottom right corner saying:  Windows 7;  Build 7600;  This copy of windows is not genuine.  No matter what I do, I cannot get past this black window into Windows.

I have searched the net for solutions to no avail as all posts pertain to getting into the Windows enviroment.  I am not able to get there.  I have tried Safe Mode, Startup Repair, SFC /scannow.  I believe I need to re-activate my LEGAL copy of Win7 Ultimate but I can't even get into the Windows enviroment to do so.

Is there a way to activate my Win7 from outside the windows enviroment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx.

To answer your immediate question - No, there is no way to activate Windows without first being able to boot to it.

Your problem is almost certainly that the system is confused by the fact that you have copied the files to a new HD, but you haven't copied the partition structure as well.
    You need to use a partition manager to investigate that - I recommend Boot It Bare Metal from terabyteunlimited.com, which will allow you to copy the full partition structure from the old drive to the new one - there is a 28-day free trial.
    You should also be aware that any corruption present on the old drive would have been copied across to the new one - so your problem may be partly as a result of that, if the drive was failing already.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:37 PM