Very slow copy to HP EX490 of big files RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched with Google and read many forms, and I have seen people having the same problem, but I can't find no real solution or even sometimes people saying it's a WHS problem.

Anyway, when I copy large files to my WHS (HP EX490) or a number of files, more than 2GB, the copy slows down to a crawl. At first it goes real fast (45 MB/s) and then it slows downs to a few MB/s, presumable when RAM cache on WHS is full? Average copy speed in the end to WHS is around 6MB/s.

Am not totally sure, but it wasn't like this in the beginning. I did notice that one of the HD's in the WHS is quite full, and stays that way, WHS is not moving data of it to other HD's. Here's an image:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9126/disksu.jpg

A solution is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Erik

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

Lo and behold, it was not properly aligned (anymore). Don't understand how this happened,

Which is why I always tell people to use the jumper. WDALIGN will align the partitions on the disk for full performance in systems that don't support advanced format disks, but when you add a drive to Windows Home Server server storage, the first thing that happens is that the partition table is wiped. No partition table = no aligned partitions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by beschuit1963 Sunday, August 1, 2010 9:26 PM
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 1:11 PM
  • In your configuration, all data you now add to the server goes to the WD15EARS drive.  That drive uses 4K Sector Advanced Formatting (which only works with Vista and newer OSes).  Did you set the jumper on it to use it in an older, XP-style OS?

No, I ran the WD Align Utility which should have the same effect?
    • Marked as answer by beschuit1963 Sunday, August 1, 2010 9:18 AM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:05 PM

All replies

• I have searched with Google and read many forms, and I have seen people having the same problem, but I can't find no real solution or even sometimes people saying it's a WHS problem.

Anyway, when I copy large files to my WHS (HP EX490) or a number of files, more than 2GB, the copy slows down to a crawl. At first it goes real fast (45 MB/s) and then it slows downs to a few MB/s, presumable when RAM cache on WHS is full? Average copy speed in the end to WHS is around 6MB/s.

Am not totally sure, but it wasn't like this in the beginning. I did notice that one of the HD's in the WHS is quite full, and stays that way, WHS is not moving data of it ot oher HD's. 

That's normal. 
    Here's an image:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9126/disksu.jpg

A solution is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Erik

In your configuration, all data you now add to the server goes to the WD15EARS drive.  That drive uses 4K Sector Advanced Formatting (which only works with Vista and newer OSes).  Did you set the jumper on it to use it in an older, XP-style OS?

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:47 PM
  • In your configuration, all data you now add to the server goes to the WD15EARS drive.  That drive uses 4K Sector Advanced Formatting (which only works with Vista and newer OSes).  Did you set the jumper on it to use it in an older, XP-style OS?

No, I ran the WD Align Utility which should have the same effect?
    • Marked as answer by beschuit1963 Sunday, August 1, 2010 9:18 AM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:05 PM
  • No, I ran the WD Align Utility which should have the same effect?
    As I understand it, yes (although I haven't actually tried it).  Did you try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Well, I am flabbergasted.

Couple of weeks ago I removed the WD15EARS drive from the WHS, connected it another PC, ran WD Align to prepare it for a pre-Vista OS, and put it back in the WHS. Didn't help in copyspeed, hence my search for help.

Now, before running chkdsk I installed WD Align on the WHS itself and had it check the WD15EARS drive. Lo and behold, it was not properly aligned (anymore). Don't understand how this happened, but anyway, I ran it again, it fixed the drive and the EX490 is now back to full speed.

Thanks for pointing the Advanced Formatting thing out, wouldn't have thought about checking it again!

Sunday, August 1, 2010 9:18 AM
    Lo and behold, it was not properly aligned (anymore). Don't understand how this happened,

Which is why I always tell people to use the jumper. WDALIGN will align the partitions on the disk for full performance in systems that don't support advanced format disks, but when you add a drive to Windows Home Server server storage, the first thing that happens is that the partition table is wiped. No partition table = no aligned partitions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by beschuit1963 Sunday, August 1, 2010 9:26 PM
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 1:11 PM