Look for new (known) wireless every X minutes.... RRS feed

• Question

• No getting away from it - WiFi is great for saving on data charges but it kills the battery life - particually when searching for new signals.  There is a great feature that switches it off automatically when no wi-fi is found and lets you choose how many minutes of no activity there should be before it switches off.

What would be really helpful is a facility where it turns back on every X (configurable) minutes and looks again before switching itself back off to protect the battery.  If there was also the choice with the auto switch on feature to only worry about previouly connected (ie known) access points that would avoid the issue of pretty much finding wi-fi singnals anywhere these days.  Obviously flight mode should override the timer.

With that feature whenever I happen to be at home or in the office wi-fi would automatically switch on and give me free data, but while travelling would switch off to save the battery.  That's a win-win in my book and I'm sure something other people would find useful

Andy

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:24 PM