Windows live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I am very upset that I have been paying for my subscription for 2 years, but almost all my friends are using a later version than mine, and they are using it free. How can I do the same?
    • Moved by Whosane002 Friday, October 30, 2009 12:13 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:13 AM

Answers

• The only free version of One Care I am aware of is bundled with Qwest high speed internet and there is no newer build than what current subscribers have.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:11 AM

All replies

• The only free version of One Care I am aware of is bundled with Qwest high speed internet and there is no newer build than what current subscribers have.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Thank You, could they be running Beta versions?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:21 PM
  • My guess is they may be running Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), which is the new anti-malware only product that is replacing OneCare.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c

It doesn't have backup, firewall, WiFi security, Hub/Circle features or Printer Sharing, but it is being provided for free.

Since OneCare will be gone by late 2010, you may want to start looking at it before then to determine if it will provide what you need or if you would prefer a different package from someone else that's more similar to OneCare.

Also note that Windows 7 includes backup, firewall, automation of deframentation and other features that simplify things like WiFi and printing, so combined with MSE you really don't need anything else.

Rob
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:01 PM