none
Lost Data and files

Question

• I re-installed Windows 8 Pro, and then it prompted me to upgrade to windows 8.1, which I did, then a few day later my system went wonky.

It shut down on its own, rebooted on its own, and desktop screen was back to default, and most about 90% of my files were gone.

Have no idea what happened, thinking of doing another, reinstall of Windows 8 Pro, but now I have no files to backup prior to doing the re-install.

Any suggestions or directions would be most helpful, I have lost lots of pictures and music. I have some files saved on a flash drive that I used for back up a few months ago, but mostly word and text files.

Thank you for listening...

Sunday, February 08, 2015 3:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• They can help you over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=Threads&status=&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&tm=1423410846182

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 08, 2015 3:54 PM
  • It's possible before you do anything else that you could download a program that could undelete deleted files. But it sounds like you may have continued on without doing that when it maybe could've helped. Although some of the files should probably be recoverable.

I would recommend you learn about system restore points. It's possible a system restore point was created by Windows prior to the Win8.1 upgrade and maybe you can restore your system back to that point where your files will be available. If so then you can backup whatever you want before you do anything else.

If you want files then you should be performing backups of your system. Otherwise if your hard disk dies you will not have files anymore. Though a forensic disk expert may be able to extract data off the platters if your hard disk is a mechanical disk which would probably cost some money. If your hard disk is actually an SSD (Solid State Drive) maybe a forensic disk expert could get files off that too.

It's also possible you've some kind of virus on your system which is corrupting or has corrupted it. Or your system is failing in some fashion hardware wise.

La vida loca

Sunday, February 08, 2015 4:40 PM