Backup Error: Stops midway with Error 0x80070002 System.Runtime.Interopservices.Marshal.ThrowexceptionforHRin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I run the original (not 2011) version of WHS on three computers. One is W7 64 bit, one is Win Xp and the other is Windows 7 - 32 bit. The first two (W7 64 and W XP)  backup fine. The last on the W7 32 bit will not complete a backup.

This computer stopped making back up about 3 months ago. I have since replaced the harddrive, and made a variety of other changes suggested on the web (shut off antivirus sw, run scandisk /f/r, run scan sfc.exe, make sure that vss services, etc are running, reboot, swithc harddrives again, update windows, etc. Nothing works. It gives me the error Error 0x80070002 System.Runtime.Interopservices.Marshal.ThrowexceptionforHRin

I have also tried to fix mentioned at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336, in fact tried both repairs (normal and aggressive). still receive the error indicating i need to run scandsk /f/r and giving the error listed in title on the log.

Please help as this is more than extremely frustrating.

• Edited by celey Friday, November 4, 2011 8:11 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:51 AM

Answers

• I think I figured out the issue. I reconconfigured the back up to backup only the c drive (do not back up the system reserved area), and it has made two backups now.
    • Marked as answer by celey Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• No takers? Now i changed to w7 64 bit (which works on other computer) and it gives error that

'the computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup'

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Ok, this is really frustrating. no suggestions?? Here is log from event viewer

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HomeServer
    Date:          11/10/2011 7:46:42 AM
    Event ID:      770
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      celey-PC
    Description:
    Backup set 8 on homeSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.Wait(IVssAsync va)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">770</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-10T13:46:42.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>3492</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>celey-PC</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>8</Data>
        <Data>homeSERVER</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---&gt; System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.Wait(IVssAsync va)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:11 PM
  • I would consider a wipe and reload on the affected client computer. It seems to me that something may have corrupted VSS on that machine, possibly a piece of software you've installed, possibly a problem with hardware, a driver that's not quite bug-free, etc.

Oh, yes, about the KB article you linked: it seems to me that it's completely unrelated to your problem. You're having errors that reference VSS, and that KB article is about updates that won't install. What it tells you to do won't have any effect on your issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 2:20 PM
  • I think I figured out the issue. I reconconfigured the back up to backup only the c drive (do not back up the system reserved area), and it has made two backups now.
    • Marked as answer by celey Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:27 PM