How can I delete a file or directory that is corrupted and unreadable RRS feed

• Question

• My system locked up and I now have a directory that I cannot delete.  When I try to open it I get a message saying the Directory is not accessible - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.  Is there any way to delete this directory?

Tom

Tom
    Monday, May 31, 2010 12:36 AM

All replies

• My system locked up and I now have a directory that I cannot delete.  When I try to open it I get a message saying the Directory is not accessible - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.  Is there any way to delete this directory?

Tom

Tom

I assume you mean a folder (or subfolder) stored on your Vail server?  If so, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Have you run chkdsk /r on the affected volume?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 31, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I have run chkdsk /r and still have the problem.  I get 'Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty' when I try to delete the folder but I cannot open the folder. 
    Tom
    Monday, May 31, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Tom, In your system event log (eventvwr.msc->WindowsLogs->System), you should see an event ID 55 from NTFS (you can filter to just source=NTFS if there are lots of events) with a timestamp roughly corresponding to when you experienced the error.  Please go to to the 'details' tab and paste the binary data from the "In Words" section.

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:15 PM