x64 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Although the Professional x64 OS is slowly starting to mature, there currently is no x64 WGA validation option. This means that certain types of software will not run, because they require validation. However, I think it would be good if x64 adopters are allowed to circumvent the validation process and run WGA software, even though it is not tested extensively. I think x64 are early adopters in any case and are willing to take a chance with their OS in most cases.

In my case I would like to install the Shared Computer Toolkit. I have installed the beta version of the User profile hive cleanup service for x64 (which is required by the Shared Computer Toolkit), but the Shared Computer Toolkit does not install because the os cannot validate the legitimacy of the OS. The I installed SP2, RC1, with the hope that a WGA validation option was included. "Unfortunately" it was not. Since there is not much protection available for x64 systems, using the Shared Computer Toolkit would be a good way to keep the system clean and running smoothly.

Therefore I request you to provide x64 user with a version that does not require validation.

Thank you,

NvS

Thursday, December 7, 2006 8:44 AM

Answers

• X64 has a special ruleset in validation.

Shared computer toolkit also follows this validation ruleset.

What error message are you getting? Are you using the X64 specific build of Shared Computer Toolkit?

Thursday, December 7, 2006 9:48 AM
  • You must be using SCT V1.

V2 is underway (almost ready!) but will not support x64. Validation will be supported properly with SCT V2 in 64bit, but SCT V2 will not work on x64 platforms.

SCT V1 will not install on x64 as well.

Sorry for the bad news,

-phil

Friday, December 8, 2006 9:31 PM

All replies

• X64 has a special ruleset in validation.

Shared computer toolkit also follows this validation ruleset.

What error message are you getting? Are you using the X64 specific build of Shared Computer Toolkit?

Thursday, December 7, 2006 9:48 AM
  • I am not running a special x64 build of the shared computer toolkit, since it is not available as far as I am aware. When I run the 32bits installer, I get a screen with a message that validation is required for installing the toolkit. There is a validate now button on the first screen of the installer, which redirects me to the microsoft site. There I get a message that validation is not supported for the windows x64 version. If I click next, the setup is aborted.

If there is a x64 version of the shared computer toolkit? If so, please show me the url where I can download it.

Thank you for your quick response.

NvS

Thursday, December 7, 2006 12:46 PM
  • Whats the URL for that website you're being directed to?

-phil

Thursday, December 7, 2006 5:46 PM
  • I was redirected to:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/AutomaticUpdates.aspx?displaylang=en&Error=6&sGuid=37964fc2-0531-48f7-9681-efc4c3da25b1

I have made a screenshot, but don't know how to upload it. So should you require it, please let me know.

Thanks,

NvS

Friday, December 8, 2006 8:24 AM
  • NvS:

Interesting! I will follow up with the SCT team. Hang on shortly! :)

Friday, December 8, 2006 9:19 PM
  • You must be using SCT V1.

V2 is underway (almost ready!) but will not support x64. Validation will be supported properly with SCT V2 in 64bit, but SCT V2 will not work on x64 platforms.

SCT V1 will not install on x64 as well.

Sorry for the bad news,

-phil

Friday, December 8, 2006 9:31 PM
  • That is really a shame! The obvious question is WHY? I mean, Vista x64 will need to be supported in the near future, or will the x64 version of Vista also receive as little support as the x64 version of XP Professional? That is surely to something to keep in mind when making the switch from xp to vista.

So, back to creating regular disk images and restoring those to keep the system clean. Really a shame since the SCT would be ideal to keep an X64 machine clean.

Anyway, thanks for your help and please let the SCT team know that they have a dissapointed x64 user...

NvS

Saturday, December 9, 2006 3:34 PM