Corrupt PW file RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS (older version) and the password file is corrupted. Admin  pw is  not recognized. Rebooted a number of times and loads, but can't log in.  Is the a fix that will let me in to the server to rebuild the file ? Also, remoter console log in allows me in  and I fixed the remote logins and they work for the files? can I reset the Administrator PW Remote console?

• Edited by Kodi9 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:25 PM

Answers

• Figured out what happened -- new security policy got applied and I went in another way to get the PW reset and now it works.When you right click on the user, you can change the PW remotely--- never saw the command --then I realized it was there.

• Edited by Kodi9 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kodi9 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:27 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid we're going to need more information, because this:
    ... Admin  pw is  not recognized. ...
    is directly contradicted by this:
    ... Also, remoter console log in allows me in ...
    The same console (i.e. admin) password is used through Remote Access and locally.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:54 PM
  •  when you try to log on to the server  directly (ctrl/alt/del) and the login screen comes up with admin -- the correct password is entered and the response is  that either the account or PW is wrong. So,you  can't get into the server.  On one of my remote consoles, I can get in to the remote console. not on two others. -- the reason here is that it has "save PW " is enabled.  when I  try it from other pcs without the pw saved, no go.   Oh, and the password has never been changed sine the original install 5 years ago.
    • Edited by Kodi9 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:25 PM
  • You should use "Administrator" not "Admin"!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:27 PM
  • no difference

• Unmarked as answer by Kodi9 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Figured out what happened -- new security policy got applied and I went in another way to get the PW reset and now it works.When you right click on the user, you can change the PW remotely--- never saw the command --then I realized it was there.

• Edited by Kodi9 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:27 PM