What is now safe...what is not? Money? Outlook PST? RRS feed

• Question

•  

As the subject says....can we now do the following safely without risk of corruption? I would really..REALLY like to see a technical whitepaper or document describing how the new drive extender works. My understanding is its significantly different under the covers than the old one.

Move, and use MS Money file on the server.

Move, and use Outlook PST files on the server

Move, and use Adobe Lightroom library to WHS

Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi!

The whole purpose of the beta-test for PP1 is to see if the corruption bug is fixed, so it should now be safe to store those files on the server. Why don't you just try it out and see what happens?

btw: Microsoft suggests not to store PST files on network shares: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

Regards, Alex

Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Well, even if the data corruption bug is nailed, and it certainly appears to be so, you should NEVER store Outlook PST files on a server share. This has been an Outlook 'problem' since 2001, so has nothing to do with WHS.

The other two items, as AliG mentions, is the reason PP1 is now on widespread beta test, just so people who can afford to possibly loose data, can test for these specific issues.

Colin

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:27 PM
  • I am very happy with the results for MS Money (UK MS Money 2000). I had confirmed problems originally on my 'live' system. Built a test system with one disk - MS Money seemed OK with data file on that. Added two more disks, Money would not then allow me to make modifications / updates to the data. Upgraded to PP1 and MS Money is working fine with data file on WHS. I even left the application open for several hours to make sure. Made changes without any ill effect. It is quite slow however and this is possibly a combination of the WHS file handling, and a slow connection to the server. It was noticeably faster on the single disk system however.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi!

The whole purpose of the beta-test for PP1 is to see if the corruption bug is fixed, so it should now be safe to store those files on the server. Why don't you just try it out and see what happens?

btw: Microsoft suggests not to store PST files on network shares: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

Regards, Alex

Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Well, even if the data corruption bug is nailed, and it certainly appears to be so, you should NEVER store Outlook PST files on a server share. This has been an Outlook 'problem' since 2001, so has nothing to do with WHS.

The other two items, as AliG mentions, is the reason PP1 is now on widespread beta test, just so people who can afford to possibly loose data, can test for these specific issues.

Colin

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Has anyone tried sharing a Photoshop Elements catalog on the server?  I am especially interested in accessing it both from a Vista and XP machine. 

I tried this before the PP release and the catalog became corrupted - not sure if it iwas sever side or the switching from XP to Vista on accessing it.

I'll post if I end up testing...

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:30 PM
  • I am very happy with the results for MS Money (UK MS Money 2000). I had confirmed problems originally on my 'live' system. Built a test system with one disk - MS Money seemed OK with data file on that. Added two more disks, Money would not then allow me to make modifications / updates to the data. Upgraded to PP1 and MS Money is working fine with data file on WHS. I even left the application open for several hours to make sure. Made changes without any ill effect. It is quite slow however and this is possibly a combination of the WHS file handling, and a slow connection to the server. It was noticeably faster on the single disk system however.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:42 PM
  •  markravs wrote:

Has anyone tried sharing a Photoshop Elements catalog on the server?  I am especially interested in accessing it both from a Vista and XP machine. 

I tried this before the PP release and the catalog became corrupted - not sure if it iwas sever side or the switching from XP to Vista on accessing it.

I'll post if I end up testing...

After a few days of testing, storing a Photoshop Elements catalog on the WHS and accessing it + adding / deleting photos from multiple systems (XP & Vista) seems to be stable.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:14 AM
  • I've been running my MS Money 2005 file from my home server with PP1 for the last few days, and it seems to be fine. Before I'd encounter problems within a few hours.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:49 PM
  • I've been running Money 2002 for over 2 weeks without any problems.  I used to get problems before PP1 within a day or two.  Haven't changed any hardware in my minimum spec dual disk WHS - only change is PP1.  I've not quite stopped copying the money file off to a client PC every so often but I'm pretty close to regarding PP1 as the solution.

Cheers

Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Here is a draft of a KB Article that the Windows Home Server team is having published:

Outlook Personal Folder Files (.pst) should not be stored on Windows Home Server

Summary:

Microsoft Outlook personal folder files (.pst) and Quicken files are unsupported over a home network using Windows Home Server.   Additionally, other PC applications may not be designed to work with a home server over a home network.  If you have any questions about whether a specific application will work where the files are stored on Windows Home Server, then you should check with the application vendor prior to loading the files on your home server and accessing them from a home computer.

More Information:

As stated in KB297019 the Microsoft Exchange Server team created Microsoft Outlook personal files (.pst files) with the intent of letting a person maintain a copy of their messages on their local computer.  Microsoft Outlook .pst files also serve the purpose of a message store for users who do not have access to a Microsoft Exchange Server, for example, you can use Microsoft Outlook as a front-end to an internet hosted mail service.   Users should continue to store their Microsoft Outlook .pst files on their home computers and use the Windows Home Server home computer backup solution to create a backup copy of these files.

Intuit Quicken files are solely intended to be stored and accessed using a single home computer.  Using Intuit Quicken in a home network is not supported or recommended. Users attempting to store, access and modify Intuit Quicken databases stored on a home server risk easily reproducible loss of data and corruption of the Quicken database.

Additionally, other PC applications may not be designed to work with a home server over a home network.  If you have any questions about whether a specific application will work where the files are stored on Windows Home Server, then you should check with the application vendor prior to loading the files on your home server and accessing them from a home computer.

Recommendations:

The Remote Access feature provided by Windows Home Server allows access to a home computer via the internet as well as on your home network. Utilize Remote Desktop on your home network or Remote Access from the internet to access the home computer that has Microsoft Outlook, Intuit Quicken or other PC-centric  applications installed to ensure you are using the software within the supported configuration.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:49 PM