Networked PC manually saving on WHS without permanent security warning RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I set the networked PC saving system from my 4 PC to my WHS on "Manual" because my PC are not permanently ON ( 2 laptops inside these 4 PC)

I want to save my PC's , once a month by example

Once all the 4 PC are saved, the WHS connectors are green but....
    ... 2 or 3 days after, all the PC WHS connector icons become yellow with this kind of message :

"WHS Network integrity fail , the PC named XYZ has not been saved from 3 days .."

I don't want, on each PC WHS connector, deactivate security warnings because an security warning about anti virus too old, or hardware problem can be VERY useful

My question is :

I want to continue manually PC savings once a month

-> Can I set this manually saving for each PC to "once a month" (not found this setup) without any hour to do that

-> and have the warning ONLY if I forgot this "once a Month saving" ?

I don't want having an unuseful  warning each day, when PC has not been saved from 2 or 3 days !!

Thanks for any idea, help, or experience :-)

Best regards from France

Jean-Max
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:09 AM

Answers

• At one time, the Windows Home Server Toolkit offered the ability to set warning and error thresholds for backups on a per-computer basis. This was controlled through the Settings tab in the console. While the interface to this functionality has been removed, the functionality itself is still present. If a computer was previously set to warn at 10 days and give an error after 20, for example, that will still happen even though there's no longer a way to change this in the console.

It's possible to set this manually, however. It requires you to connect to your server using Remote Desktop or physical console, which is unsupported because by design the only administrative interface that's needed on a properly functioning WHS computer is the console. (If you need to log in using Remote Desktop or physical console, presumably it's because your server isn't working as designed.) You should be careful any time you access your server's desktop in this fashion; there are tools available to you that can cause severe issues (up to and including complete data loss).

Once you've connected with your server's desktop:
    • Run regedit. Be extremely careful (save registry keys before you modify them, don't delete anything, etc.) as this is one of the more dangerous tools for a WHS administrator.
    • Navigate the tree to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Backup. In this location you'll find a key for each computer joined to your home server.
    • Select one of these branches.
    • On the right you will see a short list of values for this particular home PC, including the PC name.
    • Find the value named OverdueWarningThreshold. This controls the length of time a computer can go without a backup before WHS displays a network health warning (yellow icon). If it doesn't exist, create it by:
      • right click in the right-hand pane of regedit.
      • Select New, then DWORD value.
      • Name it OverdueWarningThreshold.
    • Set the value of OverdueWarningThreshold to the length of time (in hours) before you want to see a warning. So if you want to see a warning for this computer after 7 days, you would set OverdueWarningThreshold to 168 (7 days x 24 hours). You should only use whole numbers of days for this calculation.
    • Optionally, add a key OverdueErrorThreshold. This controls the length of time a computer can go without backup before WHS displays a critical network health warning (red icon). This should also be a DWORD, and is also measured in hours. If you set the warning threshold for a computer to 168 hours (7 days), you might want to set the error threshold to 336 hours (14 days).

Please be aware that, as Microsoft has removed the interface to this function from the toolkit, it's possible that the function itself will be removed from the product in some future update. Windows Home Server is designed to be a simple, "set and forget" solution for non-technical users. As such, anything that adds controls and interfaces that might confuse an end user of the product (especially one who is not technically extremely proficient) is looked at carefully, and probably either not included in the first place or removed as soon as reasonably possible.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Probably the error is simply because you're using an old version of the toolkit with a newer version of the WHS software/connector, and the toolkit can't cope with it. The toolkit has two components, however. There's the client component which is returning that error. But there's also a server add-in component, which is the one you said you wanted. That gets installed just like any other add-in.
    • Marked as answer by Jean-Max Friday, January 9, 2009 7:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Ken Warren said:
     I don't know what I can tell you, except that you should probably accept WHS for what it is, rather than for what you would like it to be.

I accept WHS like it was (Toolkit 1.0), not like it is ! (Toolkit 1.1)  ;) ;) ;)

After you told us that Toolkit had 2 separate parts (Connector diagnostic for PC and add-in for WHS), I successfully installed Toolkit 1.0 English on my WHS Sp2 pp1 French :)
    The  language is not a problem (1.1 was English also)

For info, my steps:

On WHS :
    Desinstall Toolkit 1.1 from console
    Delete toolkit.msi in /Software/add-ins/

On PC :
    Desinstall WHS toolkit 1.1 with XP remove programs
    Install WHS toolkit 1.0 (WHSToolkit.msi (3094 ko)) : no problem
    From Start / Programs/ WHS toolkit -> run Connector trouble shooter
    During the diagnostics: error messages I told previously  (WHS connector conflict version, no Dhcp ...)

I tested my (pp1) connector on PC: no problem

From PC:
    Copy the file toolkit.msi (432ko)  from  C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit
    to WHS , in \\Home-server\Software\Add-Ins\

On WHS :
    Console /parameters/ add-ins /
    install toolkit
    Exit console
    Reboot WHS

-> All is OK  now  :)
    I have in my WHS console the desired backup warning delays I wanted :
    I modified defaults warning backup delays (in days) from Yellow 5 + Red 15 to Yellow 30 + Red 60
    (it's OK for me)
    WHS connector icons are green now !

Perfect :)

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by Jean-Max Friday, January 9, 2009 7:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    unfortunately there is no way with the current version of Windows Home Server, to customize alerts and their time frames. Your only option currently is to go into the console, click on the Network status icon and toggle the checkbox for a specific alert to ignore that problem. (But you should also be aware, that this ignorance lasts for ever or until you untoggle the checkbox again.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:59 AM
  • At one time, the Windows Home Server Toolkit offered the ability to set warning and error thresholds for backups on a per-computer basis. This was controlled through the Settings tab in the console. While the interface to this functionality has been removed, the functionality itself is still present. If a computer was previously set to warn at 10 days and give an error after 20, for example, that will still happen even though there's no longer a way to change this in the console.

It's possible to set this manually, however. It requires you to connect to your server using Remote Desktop or physical console, which is unsupported because by design the only administrative interface that's needed on a properly functioning WHS computer is the console. (If you need to log in using Remote Desktop or physical console, presumably it's because your server isn't working as designed.) You should be careful any time you access your server's desktop in this fashion; there are tools available to you that can cause severe issues (up to and including complete data loss).

• Run regedit. Be extremely careful (save registry keys before you modify them, don't delete anything, etc.) as this is one of the more dangerous tools for a WHS administrator.
    • Navigate the tree to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Backup. In this location you'll find a key for each computer joined to your home server.
    • On the right you will see a short list of values for this particular home PC, including the PC name.
    • Find the value named OverdueWarningThreshold. This controls the length of time a computer can go without a backup before WHS displays a network health warning (yellow icon). If it doesn't exist, create it by:
    • Set the value of OverdueWarningThreshold to the length of time (in hours) before you want to see a warning. So if you want to see a warning for this computer after 7 days, you would set OverdueWarningThreshold to 168 (7 days x 24 hours). You should only use whole numbers of days for this calculation.
    • Optionally, add a key OverdueErrorThreshold. This controls the length of time a computer can go without backup before WHS displays a critical network health warning (red icon). This should also be a DWORD, and is also measured in hours. If you set the warning threshold for a computer to 168 hours (7 days), you might want to set the error threshold to 336 hours (14 days).

Please be aware that, as Microsoft has removed the interface to this function from the toolkit, it's possible that the function itself will be removed from the product in some future update. Windows Home Server is designed to be a simple, "set and forget" solution for non-technical users. As such, anything that adds controls and interfaces that might confuse an end user of the product (especially one who is not technically extremely proficient) is looked at carefully, and probably either not included in the first place or removed as soon as reasonably possible.

Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

At one time, the Windows Home Server Toolkit offered the ability to set warning and error thresholds for backups on a per-computer basis. This was controlled through the Settings tab in the console. While the interface to this functionality has been removed, the functionality itself is still present.

. Windows Home Server is designed to be a simple, "set and forget" solution for non-technical users. As such, anything that adds controls and interfaces that might confuse an end user of the product (especially one who is not technically extremely proficient) is looked at carefully, and probably either not included in the first place or removed as soon as reasonably possible.

Thanks Ken Warren for all, and in particular, for the specific registry tip :-)

I understand the Microsoft desire to stay simple for the WHS product , but WHS must not, days after days, become light !

Why not maintaining an specific WHS add-on like the more complete initial WHS toolkit and like actual XP and Vista Tweak-UI , which would be downloaded and installed only on demand, ONLY  by those who want more specific setups and know the risk ?

Most of WHS family users whould not use this add-on and stay in peace ;-)

Jean-Max
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    unfortunately there is no way with the current version of Windows Home Server, to customize alerts and their time frames. Your only option currently is to go into the console, click on the Network status icon and toggle the checkbox for a specific alert to ignore that problem. (But you should also be aware, that this ignorance lasts for ever or until you untoggle the checkbox again.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thanks Olaf

But in checkbox alerts, we cannot choose the reason why the alert arrive:

It would be great to be able to CHOOSE alert reasons :

Example :

- Alert could be set to ON for big reasons :
    Hardware failure on WHS,
    Anti virus old on WHS or on one of the networked PC's, 
    etc..

- Alert could be set to OFF for modest reasons :
    PC savings process
    etc..

All the best !

Jean-Max
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Jean-Max, the Windows Home Server toolkit is a tool which provides useful information for product support, so its likely that anyone who has a home server and experiences a problem of any sort will be instructed to install the toolkit. As such, it should really only supply a minimum of non-support options. Everything else should either be part of the appropriate pane in Settings, or should be removed. This feature is just in the "removed" column.

If someone else were to include the ability to tweak these registry entries in their (third party) add-in, I'm pretty sure that users like yourself would be quite pleased. :) Just don't expect Microsoft to do it, at least not the way it was initially done, which was by presenting a list of computers joined to the server and letting a user set periods individually. The interface was pretty easy to figure out, but counter to the notion of "simplicity".

Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Jean-Max, the Windows Home Server toolkit is a tool which provides useful information for product support, .... As such, it should really only supply a minimum of non-support options. Everything else should either be part of the appropriate pane in Settings, or should be removed. This feature is just in the "removed" column.

OK, Ken, I just had a look to this "Windows Home Server toolkit" ...
    I think that such a so modest "toolkit"  could come pre installed in WHS !
    Why it comes as an separate "tool" ?

For me, it's not a true tweak tool and I will try your registry tips you told us just before

On the net, I founded many tweak tools and add-ons for WHS developed by independent sources , BUT, at this time, I didn't found the better saving tool I am looking for, with adapted  security warnings ..

All the best , and .. Merry Christmas :-)

Jean-Max
    Monday, December 22, 2008 7:15 AM
  • I can only theorize that the toolkit isn't included in the base product because it offers additional, and in some cases confusing, information. A non-technical user might dig into it, see some perfectly normal warning (the warnings you see in the event log regarding printer drivers when you connect via remote desktop are an example) being shown, and panic.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Hello,
    Ken Warren said:

I had a look on my WHS registry (My version is WHS Sp2 PP1 French)

Here is  the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Backup" zone :

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9798/regeditwhsbackupvb2.jpg

The 4 PC names are not here ...
    and
    The DWORD value "OverdueWarningThreshold" doesn't exist inside the whole Registry

In the Registry, the 4 PC  names are only  founded in :

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\transport\clients\"
    (5 branches  for only 4 PC because one is bi-boot)

Example of one of the PC's Branch :

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9489/regeditwhstransportcliexr6.jpg

Question :

-> where can I create an DWORD value "OverdueWarningThreshold",  for each computer ?

-> Is-it in this "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\transport\clients\" zone ?

Thanks for your help :)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:33 PM
  • If there are no keys under the Backup branch, then I think it should be safe to add one for any client PC you need to adjust the warning thresholds on, Jean-Max. This is, of course, completely unsupported, and done at your own risk. You will need to create a key under Backup, named the same as the corresponding key under Transport. Then in that key, you need:
    • A REG_SZ value named (Default) with no value set (this will be created automatically)
    • A REG_SZ value named Name, with the value of the computer name (as specified in the Transport key)
    • REG_DWORD values as specified above.
    After creating this key for one computer, reboot your server and the computer. Then wait. For a long time. :)

Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

If there are no keys under the Backup branch, then I think it should be safe to add one for any client PC you need to adjust the warning thresholds on, Jean-Max. This is, of course, completely unsupported, and done at your own risk. You will need to create a key under Backup, named the same as the corresponding key under Transport. Then in that key, you need:

• A REG_SZ value named (Default) with no value set (this will be created automatically)
    • A REG_SZ value named Name, with the value of the computer name (as specified in the Transport key)
    • REG_DWORD values as specified above.
    After creating this key for one computer, reboot your server and the computer. Then wait. For a long time. :)

Thanks for the process, Ken :)

It's seems logical, but.. quite dangerous, without any other experience about this tuning ..(*)

** It SHOULD be so easy (and so more secure) for Microsoft boys to re-activate this useful function ! **

(*) Questions about YOUR WHS registry :

How is exactly your registry WHS backup zone ?
    Is-it  like my Transport zone ?
    Have you one key for each saved client PC ?

If YES, can you copy here the WHS Backup zone of your WHS registry ?

If NO, and if you don't save any PC to your WHS, can you create for the test, an PC saving process on your WHS  ?
    (and suppress it after checking your HS Backup registry zone)

Thanks for all !!

Jean-Max
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Jean-Max said:

Thanks for the process, Ken :)

It's seems logical, but.. quite dangerous, without any other experience about this tuning ..(*)

** It SHOULD be so easy (and so more secure) for Microsoft boys to re-activate this useful function ! **

(*) Questions about YOUR WHS registry :

How is exactly your registry WHS backup zone ?

Mine originally only had one listed this morning (and it's a computer that's not even part of my LAN any more).  But I re-installed v1.0 and changed the settings inside the toolkit for my current computer.  Once I did that, WHS created a key that matched exactly what Ken said.

Jean-Max said:

Is-it  like my Transport zone ?

Mine is.

Jean-Max said:

Have you one key for each saved client PC ?

No.  But as I said, I never changed the settings in the toolkit for any of current computers before (and apparently it only creates the necessary key once you make a change through the toolkit).

Jean-Max said:

If YES, can you copy here the WHS Backup zone of your WHS registry ?

If NO, and if you don't save any PC to your WHS, can you create for the test, an PC saving process on your WHS  ?
    (and suppress it after checking your HS Backup registry zone)

Thanks for all !!

Jean-Max

• Edited by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:55 PM clean up post again :)
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:03 PM
  • For each computer joined to my home server I have a GUID-named key (the same GUID as in the Transport key). Within that key, I have the values I've specified above.

As for backups, all of my PCs except two are backed up automatically to my server every night. Those two are laptops; they're set to back up automatically, but are not always connected to power. One of those is set to warn after 10 days, and this works fine.

You should not expect Microsoft to re-insert this tweak into the toolkit. The toolkit isn't for tweaking your server, really. It's a diagnostic tool for use when support directs you to. And I wouldn't expect Microsoft to add this tweak elsewhere in the interface; WHS is supposed to be simple for a non-technical person to understand and use, and this level of fine control of backups isn't easy to understand.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Thanks kariya21 & Ken Warren :)

Before manually adding a new backup zone in my WHS registry, I am looking on the net, for an WHS Server Toolkit 1.0 which can do the job without risk ;)

But .. No success at this time to find any alive download link for Toolkit 1.0 :(

-> If you know an alive link, it would be great ! :)

Thanks for all & Best regards,
    Jean-Max
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Toolkit 1.0 was only ever available from download from Microsoft, and has been superceded by the current version.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Toolkit 1.0 was only ever available from download from Microsoft, and has been superceded by the current version.

Thanks
    I understand that.
    But sometimes, it can be founded on the net, old versions of some softs, but it's seems not true for Toolkit 1.0 :(

I  think it's not  illegal now to use Toolkit 1.0 (?)

So, can-I ask to one of the lucky owners of this previous 1.0 version to upload temporally his 1.0 version somewhere and share with me the download link by PM

I trust you :)

Thanks for all !

Jean-Max
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Hello,

I just received by email, the toolkit1.0, from an kind WHS forum reader :)
    Thanks to him !

I will let you know here if the English version is OK on my WHS pp1 French version

Best regards,

Jean-Max
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Jean-Max said:
    I will let you know here if the English version is OK on my WHS pp1 French version

Hello,

This evening, I tried to install WHS Toolkit 1.0 English on one networked PC as it's asked in doc
    (and like I made previously with success for the Toolkit 1.1 version)
    Install is correct on the PC
    When I launch ConnectorTroubleshooter  from Start / Programs: WHS toolkit / :
     its starts running diagnostics, then displays an html page with this message:

"The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server.
    Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software."
    On your home computer, delete the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists.
    Then install the Connector software from the Software shared folder on your home
    server, rather than from the CD. (Perhaps you have an old CD.) Connect to
    \\YourServerName\Software\ Home Server Connector Software, and then run Setup.exe."

I stopped all the process

-> Why this error ?

-> Is-it because my WHS is an WHS Sp2 pp1 FRENCH version, with corresponding French connectors on each PC.. ??

- > Is-it because I have the last connector version installed ?
    (more recent that the connector version expected by Toolkit 1.0 ??)

My actual installed connector is OK  and it's 6.0.1800.0 French language version

Questions :

-> Must I start now looking for the French version of Toolkit 1.0 ?  (but.. does-it exists ?)
    or
    -> Is-it only an connector mismatch version problem ?

Have you any idea to solve this ?

Thanks for any help :-))

Jean-Max
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Probably the error is simply because you're using an old version of the toolkit with a newer version of the WHS software/connector, and the toolkit can't cope with it. The toolkit has two components, however. There's the client component which is returning that error. But there's also a server add-in component, which is the one you said you wanted. That gets installed just like any other add-in.
    • Marked as answer by Jean-Max Friday, January 9, 2009 7:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

But there's also a server add-in component, which is the one you said you wanted. That gets installed just like any other add-in.

-> Do you mean that I can install this second part (useful for me) of the toolkit 1.0 directly from my WHS, by copying the toolkit.msi file on WHS and install it from the WHS console itself ?

nb : no more Aspirin , i used all my stock :-(

MSG to Microsoft boys ;)

It should be so simple to SEPARATE the toolkit in 2 separate tools :

- >First One , for most of users,  first level users ; it would be exactly the 1.1 version, very limited and secure : Connector assitance et no risk diagnostics

AND a

-> Second one : with  so useful previous functions of the 1.0 with backup tuning etc..
    ...with this kind of BIG warning :
    "Tool reserved ONLY to second (or more) level users",
    "Tool without any guarantee",
    etc etc..

As I said before, when you want to become simpler and simpler and  more secure and more secure, you transform your product in a very low level product  :

Go down, always go down ... :
    What a so sad method :-(

Jean-Max
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Jean-Max, I doubt that Microsoft is going to change Windows Home Server to allow more tweaks. The concept is for it to be a simple, easy to use server for the non-technical household, and the more knobs to turn and buttons to push you add, the more difficult the interface is to undersand. So while a technically knowlegeable person may not have any trouble understanding what you want to do, the very presence of the controls that would let you do it are likely to be confusing for the primary target audience.

Unfortunately the drive for simplicity is exactly what you're bemoaning. I don't know what I can tell you, except that you should probably accept WHS for what it is, rather than for what you would like it to be. And what you seem to want it to be is not a direction I would want to see it go in. I'm an IT pro, and I frankly don't want to be bothered with IT management headaches at home.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Ken Warren said:
     I don't know what I can tell you, except that you should probably accept WHS for what it is, rather than for what you would like it to be.

I accept WHS like it was (Toolkit 1.0), not like it is ! (Toolkit 1.1)  ;) ;) ;)

After you told us that Toolkit had 2 separate parts (Connector diagnostic for PC and add-in for WHS), I successfully installed Toolkit 1.0 English on my WHS Sp2 pp1 French :)
    The  language is not a problem (1.1 was English also)

For info, my steps:

On WHS :
    Desinstall Toolkit 1.1 from console
    Delete toolkit.msi in /Software/add-ins/

On PC :
    Desinstall WHS toolkit 1.1 with XP remove programs
    Install WHS toolkit 1.0 (WHSToolkit.msi (3094 ko)) : no problem
    From Start / Programs/ WHS toolkit -> run Connector trouble shooter
    During the diagnostics: error messages I told previously  (WHS connector conflict version, no Dhcp ...)

I tested my (pp1) connector on PC: no problem

From PC:
    Copy the file toolkit.msi (432ko)  from  C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit
    to WHS , in \\Home-server\Software\Add-Ins\

On WHS :
    Console /parameters/ add-ins /
    install toolkit
    Exit console
    Reboot WHS

-> All is OK  now  :)
    I have in my WHS console the desired backup warning delays I wanted :
    I modified defaults warning backup delays (in days) from Yellow 5 + Red 15 to Yellow 30 + Red 60
    (it's OK for me)
    WHS connector icons are green now !

Perfect :)

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by Jean-Max Friday, January 9, 2009 7:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:00 PM