Assistance with new setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just bought new hardware and downloaded WHS.  I would like to setup with the following config.  Can anyone tell me if its possible?

2 x 300 gb RAID1 (BIOS RAID) = OS
    2 x 1.5 tb RAID1 (BIOS RAID) = DATA

Is the above config possible?

Cheers.

Stevey G
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:09 PM

Answers

• It's possible to install on a RAID array. In my opinion it needlessly complicates the recovery picture, however. If your entire server uses RAID for all volumes, you will need to supply drivers at several points in order for Windows Home Server to install (or reinstall) successfully.

As for partition sizes, where data goes, etc. Windows Home Server is designed to take questions like that out of the hands of the non-technical consumers who are the primary market segment. They often find such questions confusing, so Microsoft chose to take the path of making "the right decision" for them. As a result, when installed Window Home Server will use 20 GB of space on the system "disk" (whether a physical disk or a volume on a RAID array) for the system partition, and the remainder of the space on the volume as the D: (primary data) partition. Other volumes detected during initial installation will be formatted and added to the storage pool as secondary data disks.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by steveyg_uk Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:02 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just bought new hardware and downloaded WHS.  I would like to setup with the following config.  Can anyone tell me if its possible?

2 x 300 gb RAID1 (BIOS RAID) = OS

Is the above config possible?

Cheers.

Stevey G

First, RAID is not supported on WHS.  Second, you can't control the size of the partitions (the OS is 20 GB and everything else is for DATA).
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

I understand its not supported, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.  Secondly, why can't I specify what size of OS I want?  also, can I tell it where I want data?  As in shares, like music, my recordings (tv), data, personal share and so forth?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:50 AM
  • It's possible to install on a RAID array. In my opinion it needlessly complicates the recovery picture, however. If your entire server uses RAID for all volumes, you will need to supply drivers at several points in order for Windows Home Server to install (or reinstall) successfully.

As for partition sizes, where data goes, etc. Windows Home Server is designed to take questions like that out of the hands of the non-technical consumers who are the primary market segment. They often find such questions confusing, so Microsoft chose to take the path of making "the right decision" for them. As a result, when installed Window Home Server will use 20 GB of space on the system "disk" (whether a physical disk or a volume on a RAID array) for the system partition, and the remainder of the space on the volume as the D: (primary data) partition. Other volumes detected during initial installation will be formatted and added to the storage pool as secondary data disks.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by steveyg_uk Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:02 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:19 PM
  • 2 x 300 gb RAID1 (BIOS RAID) = OS

Possible, not supported.  If you really want a RAID set-up with the hardware you have, install WHS on just the 2 x 300 gb drives first as RAID 1.  Add the two 1.5 tb later as single drives and set duplication on for your files.

I'm not a fan of bios RAID, so, I don't encourage using it.  If you use RAID, spend the money for a separate RAID hardware control card or don't use it at all.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:58 PM