Different Named files RRS feed

• Question

• I have two specific files that MUST use different names because of two applications needing to read them;

(example notes.txt and plus_notes.txt). I need to be able Synchronize these on a daily basis.

I am using SyncToy successfully to sync notes with the same name, but have been unable to figure out how to sync notes that have different names.

Can someone please explain how to do this.

Thanks so much. 

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

•  

I see.

But SyncToy 2.0 takes two files with differenct names as totally different files even they have the same contents.

SO, you problem cannot be resolved by SyncToy.

I suggest you can just resolve it by writting some scripts: delete the plus_notes.txt then cope notes.txt to plus_notes.txt and schedule to run the scripts by window task scheduler.

Hope this could be help!

Ping

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:13 AM

All replies

•  

Do you mean you want to sync/merge the two files with different names into one?

If yes, I think SyncToy dose not support that.

Or if you just want to sync these two files seperately, there is different with other files.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  Ping Lu wrote:

Do you mean you want to sync/merge the two files with different names into one?

If yes, I think SyncToy dose not support that.

Or if you just want to sync these two files seperately, there is different with other files.

No, I do not want to merge the files. The two files need to be updated and synched daily; but they must maintain the two different file names.

i.e., the contents of the files will be the same; but the files will have different names.

Anybody?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:39 PM
  •  

I see.

But SyncToy 2.0 takes two files with differenct names as totally different files even they have the same contents.

SO, you problem cannot be resolved by SyncToy.

I suggest you can just resolve it by writting some scripts: delete the plus_notes.txt then cope notes.txt to plus_notes.txt and schedule to run the scripts by window task scheduler.

Hope this could be help!

Ping

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:13 AM
  •  

There's the "Check file contents" option, but the file name has to be the same I think.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:43 PM