none
Can't open saved files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a new install of WHS. The current enviroment is an older NT domain installation with Win XP, Win 2000, and a Win 98 client.

All machines seem to exhibit similar behavior. I can create and save files on WHS but when they reboot and attempt to access the files they created they get File In Use error messages or can't save error messages.

I have experimented with workgroup settings and user ID's on the clients but it all results in the same thing.

It has the feel of some basic authentication issue but I just can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

Tom D
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,
    besides that it may also be worth to get the latest network drivers for the clients and the server from the maker of the network interface card chip.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which application do you use?
    In some cases it may be differences in context with SMB signing settings between the server and the client, which block the communication efficiently, in others it may be a virus scanner. Nothing new to Windows Home Server, this was often an issue with Windows Server 2003.
    You may check this blog for more informations where to search.
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hi Olaf

The Win 98 machine sees it on Excel 97. The Win 2000 machine sees it on Excel and Word. The XP machines see on a 3rd party application called Accubid. However, there may be more examples that we did not discover as the conversion was aborted when these problems popped up.

I looked at the link you provided (thank you!!) and it seems that XP SP2 should have solved any issues yet I still get this.

Tom D
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Hi Tom,
    besides that it may also be worth to get the latest network drivers for the clients and the server from the maker of the network interface card chip.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:10 PM