Bring Back Custom Display Names to Windows Live Essentials 2011 (and all future builds). Opinions?

General discussion

• For as long as I remember, Windows Live Messenger's option for custom display names and personal messages have been a large part of my life. Actually, the messenger service in general has been a monumentally large part of my life. So, you could imagine my dismay when I tried Windows Live Essentials 2011, in which the feature to customize your display name was removed. To be honest, I'd rather not edit my registered name for my Hotmail/Windows Live account every single time I would like to change my displayed name in Windows Live. Let's face it. "Sarah" looks extremely boring sitting there on my screen, and displayed in my chat window. I used to enjoy sharing things like short excerpts from songs, things that are going on, deep thoughts, etc. through my display name and personal message. Now, it's become boring and mundane, your contact list full of simple, common names such as "Josh" or "Chelsea". It's as though the life and creativity I so enjoyed throughout the years has been sucked out of what was once a staple part of my life. Now, to some, it may seem like some small, silly inconvenience that is in no way whatsoever worth making a stand for, but in my (and countless others') eyes, it is like the opposite of a tribute to what the internet once was. People like me watch with sad eyes today what has become of our beloved internet, our memories. Now, don't write me off as old and stuck in the ways of the past. I'm probably younger than you might imagine. I'm just one of the true ones, the ones with history, knowledge, a distant memory of how things were. I know there are others out there who feel the same way I do. So, if you agree, I'd love to hear about it. Keep the convenience, ever-pushing the limits of technology and knowledge, but keep the life as well.
    Thank you for your time. I hope that by some small stroke of luck, this influences future decisions made in regards to the Windows Live experience.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:54 AM

All replies

• I would have placed this under a different forum category but there is no better place for it.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:55 AM