Installing Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to run WHS on a Compaq Prolinea DL360 Server with a Compaq Storageworks Disc Array??
    I know it's a bit overkill but i like the raid 5 option of the Disc Array.
    Also if it did i know WHS would be mirrored on the Server drives but i take it i could turn off folder duplication due to using Raid 5 on the Disc Array or would it run in conjuction with Raid 5 happily..??
    I know i'm babbiling on a bit but just thought i would ask as i have this kit at hand.
    Sorry forgot to say server is running 2x1gig P2's and 1.5gig ram.

Hope this helps
    Cannonz
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    scenarios involving any RAID configuration are not supported by Windows Home Server.
    Folder duplication takes over the role of a partial RAID just for the important data in some shared folders, saving some disk space.
    This being said, your scenario would work as long, as you use hardware based RAID, but is not supported and may become more difficult, if it comes the a Server Reinstall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    scenarios involving any RAID configuration are not supported by Windows Home Server.
    Folder duplication takes over the role of a partial RAID just for the important data in some shared folders, saving some disk space.
    This being said, your scenario would work as long, as you use hardware based RAID, but is not supported and may become more difficult, if it comes the a Server Reinstall.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:48 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,

Next question (i know it's the wrong place to post this) is there anyway i can break down the WHS DVD onto 2 CD's??
    reason being is that after the information you gave me i was going to give it a bash only to find out the Compaq DL360 only has CD reader :(
    I thought i could rip the DVD to 2 CD's just so that i could install it on the server if so what folders do i need to put on each disc.
    If not it looks like a i would have to buy a PCI USB card to install so that i could run an external DVD drive but i'm unsure if it would be compatible with the server, also thought of getting a SCSI card with a cable that i can run to a 10k SCA drive and install it that way.
    your input would be helpful.

Thanks
    Cannonz

Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:01 AM
  • No, there is no way to install other than with a DVD-ROM drive, or a functional equivalent that provides the appearance of a single disk.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Ahh (appearance of a single disc) does that mean then if could copy all files onto a large enough USB stick that i could boot from it would work then..?
    Obviously i would still have to install a PCI USB Card in any case..
    I think my best option seems to be getting an SCA cable that i could run to a SCSI port on my PC and do it that way because i don't want to buy a PCI USB card only to find out that i can't boot from it anyway on the DL360 a i haven't noticed an option for it when i boots.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Can i instal whs on my desktop system in a different disk than my current boot disk and not erase my current boot disk ?
    I have win xp pro now and i dont want to format this disk, only the others disks in my system ...

Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:43 AM
  • toxotis70 said:

Can i instal whs on my desktop system in a different disk than my current boot disk and not erase my current boot disk ?

I have win xp pro now and i dont want to format this disk, only the others disks in my system ...

No, you can't, besides maybe temporary disconnect your boot disk (pull cable) and change the boot sequence in Bios.
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Cannonz32 said:

Ahh (appearance of a single disc) does that mean then if could copy all files onto a large enough USB stick that i could boot from it would work then..?
    I think my best option seems to be getting an SCA cable that i could run to a SCSI port on my PC and do it that way because i don't want to buy a PCI USB card only to find out that i can't boot from it anyway on the DL360 a i haven't noticed an option for it when i boots.

you might be interested in this link:
    http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/04/30/turn-your-usb-flash-drive-into-a-windows-install-disk/
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:48 AM
  • Cannonz32 said:

Ahh (appearance of a single disc) does that mean then if could copy all files onto a large enough USB stick that i could boot from it would work then..?

Yes and no. If you have motherboard and BIOS support for USB, then probably you can configure your server to boot from USB. With a PCI-based USB card, I doubt that you'll be able to do so.

If you can boot from a properly configured flash drive, then the link Olaf provided should help you build a WHS installation drive.

Easiest is to see if you can lay your hands on a DVD-ROM drive that you can connect in place of (or in addition to) the CD-ROM drive, using the same type of connection.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 2:12 PM