cannot log on to XP; yesterday could not get desktop to load RRS feed

• Question

• One of my computers got some kind of virus.  I used McAfee to clean it, and even bought REG TOOL and cleaned up the whole PC yesterday.  The problem I was having was that after you booted up, the desktop would not load.  It was just the blank wallpaper.  Today I decided to keep working on it because I ran out of time yesterday.  When I turned on the PC, I now receive a "logon" screen asking me if I am owner or guest.  No matter which I choose, it says "logging on" and the screen changes, and then it says "logging off" and takes me back to the screen to choose Owner or Guest. 

First, how do I get around this?  I didn't request it to be set up but a few Microsoft updates were downloaded so that could have caused this to appear.  I tried all the options around SAFE MODE but it all brought me to the same place and I could not get past it to get to where I could do anything.

Second, assuming I can get onto the computer, what can I do to try to get the desktop to load automatically like it used to ?

Friday, May 8, 2009 1:33 AM

Answers

• Good Moring D. Furmanski,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  Your post is out of scope for the WGA program forum. I suggest posting your question to the “Discussions in Windows XP General” or the “Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups” here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

Also the virus may still be present OR maybe potential permenant damage was made which the software you purchased didn't repair. Anytime you have a virus on a computer it is best practice to reformate the system. So I would back up all your data and reformate the hard drive then install Windows. This way you can have a peace of mind your system has been purged.

Take care,

Stephen  

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 8, 2009 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 8, 2009 5:10 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 5:09 PM