How do you create a Fetch based report for CRM 2011 Online using SQL Server 2012 and Visual Studio 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a report that will list all the orders for a given month along with the total payment amount paid in that month. The payment entity is a custom entity. I have tried to do this through the standard reporting/view with no luck. I get all of the orders but no payment information is displayed. I'm assuming that I have to create a custom report. The problem is there is so much information out there and none of it seems to say the same thing.

I currently don't have full version of SQL Server installed on my desktop. I was thinking of installing SQL Server 2012 and I currently have Visual Studio 2012 installed. Can any one point me to a document/web page that will explain how to create a custom report using these tools, or is there a better way to go?

We are using the online version of CRM.

Thanks,

Gary 

• Edited by GaryMk Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:17 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• SQL Server 2012 BI is still VS2010, and is installed from the SQL Server installation media.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:13 PM
  • So I need to get Visual Studio 2010. Is there a specific version of SQL Server that I need? I did some work with Integration Services and it required the Developer edition.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Business Intelligence Development Studio and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 - this can be installed from the SQL Server 2008 media or SQL Server 2008 Express w/ Advanced Services download
    -OR-
    SQL Server Data Tools and Visual Studio 2010

You'll need to install this in addition to use FetchXML:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Report Authoring Extension (with SQL Server Data Tools support)

Reference material on reporting:

Create Reports for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Using SQL Server Reporting Services

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:36 PM
  • If I go with SQL Data Tools and Visual Studio 2010 do I still need to install SQL Server? If so which version?

Thanks

• Edited by GaryMk Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:03 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:01 PM
  • I don't believe so - but I must confess I have not used tried with VS2010 with the SQL Server Data Tools. I've gotten used to using BIDS2008 (since it was the only option up until a few weeks ago). 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:59 PM
  • You don't have to install SQL, just Visual Studio 2010 (and SP1, as a prerequisite).  If you don't have it, SSDT will install a shell for you to use.  Right now, it seems that the Report Authoring Extensions are the only thing holding report development back, in the Visual Studio product cycle.  SQL Server 2012 has some first-class support in Visual Studio 2012, but we're just not there yet.  Hopefully soon, but I wouldn't bet on it sooner than Orion.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for the update!
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:41 PM
  • I have installed VS 2010 and two different versions of SSDT, one is just SSDT and the other is SSDT 2010.

This web site http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/2011/en-us/online/5.1_osdp/help/how_rpt_CustomCreateFetchRS.htm

states that you open SSDT and create a Report Server project. In neither version of SSDT do I see that project type. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Gary

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:09 AM
  • That article was written with VS2008 BI in mind.  Try this one:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms167559.aspx

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:32 AM
  • In the article it states to "In the Installed Templates list, click Business Intelligence.". I don't have an installed template called Business Intelligence.

Thanks

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:42 PM
  • I installed SQL Server 2012 Developer edition and it installed the Business Intelligence template.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 6:03 PM
  • hi,

Step1.install sql server 2008 r2 or higher with BIDS.

Step2. install Crm Reporting Extension

step 3. install stunnware tool

>build your query by stunnware

>Download an existing report from crm

>open bids then report project ->add exixting item-> downloaded report

>then strat making custom report...

Hope this helps. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Santosh Bhagat If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hi, 

To corroborate Gary's resolution above... 

I was also having problems. I was trying to use Visual Studio 2010 with the SSDT extension but couldn't see any of the reporting templates.  Though it's mentioned above that you don't need to install SQL Server (and I'm not necessarily contesting the truth of that) I personally only found success, and that I could see the Business Intelligence templates, once I'd installed the SQL server 2012 SP1.  Prior to which I had SQL server 2012 Express installed which did not contain the BI aspects of the SSDT. I then ran the CRM Report Authoring Extension (with SQL Server Data Tools support) and can now build the custom reports querying my CRM Online data. Thanks. 

• Edited by AlexYeoman Monday, April 22, 2013 8:58 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:55 PM