none
Cannot Join Domain Error (exit code 1: incorrect function) RRS feed

• Question

• I have HPC Update 3 installed on head node. I have a Default Compute Node Template (Windows 8.1 Pro) setup with key to activate see screen shot.  I have HPC configured on topology 1 with an enterprise network on one interface and a private network on another interface.  All compute nodes will be on the private network.  The compute node boots fine via PXE and goes through Head node sees it, get IP address from HeadNode, boots the node beginning the install of Windows 10. From compute note I can browse internet through headnode and ping all DC's on my domain.  All goes fine in the install until the compute node goes to join the domain.

I receive an exit code 1: incorrect function  message back on the head node.

When I look at the compute node screen the command window is running with the commands.  The netdom command with the pararameters are presented and it keep repeating.  I am not sure what is wrong.  I can join the compute node to the domain interactivley as well as run the netdom command from the compute node and that works too,  just will not join the domain from the ExecutionClient.exe script.

Any ideas.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Ray,

HPC Pack 2012 R2 was release before Windows 10, so bare metal deployment for Windows 10 is not supported in HPC Pack 2012 R2. The reason why "Joining domain" failed is that HPC Pack 2012 R2 use "netdom join" command to join the machine to domain, however, the command was removed in Windows 10.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:38 AM
  • I do apologize for not specifying,  I also have Windows 8.1 Pro baremetal and that is the screen shot you see in the post.  I have updated the post as well.
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Hi Ray,

Windows 8.1 bare metal deployment is not officially supported and we never tested that. Please try a server edition for your compute nodes.

And we support windows client (windows 7, windows 8, 8.1 and win10) as workstation node which you need to install HPC Pack manually or your own deployment tool. (You can check the help of "setup.exe /?" to see how to do the setup in silent mode).

Qiufang Shi

Monday, September 12, 2016 1:50 AM