NVidia Serial ATA driver update triggered Vista Deactivation RRS feed

• Question

• The other day, via Windows Update, one of my computers running Vista Home Premium (genuine & legal, of course) had a driver updated after which the OS decided her computer needed to be reactivated because her key was already in use. Automatic phone activation didn't work, but fortunately the customer service that came on after that was able to help out.

The driver that caused this problem was "NVIDIA Corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller". Not sure why, but it appears in the update list twice. Maybe that is related to this problem, but at any rate please do try to find a way to avoid having my computer suddenly decide it is no longer going to act as if it is my own property.

It really makes me nervous to think that another driver update in the future might require another activation which, in theory, could be arbitrarily denied (who knows what kind of limits are in place for phone reactivation). I appreciate the piracy concerns but I am a legal customer and it is really hard to accept this kind of dependency on anyone or anything.

Thanks for reading.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hardware changes usually require activation again (such as many hardware manufacturers rewrite hardware drivers constantly which cause a "change in hardware")...

-phil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:54 PM

All replies

• I experienced the exact same problem, and I had to use System Restore to reactivate Vista again.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:06 PM
  • The exact same thing happened to me as well.  So Microsoft released a driver through their web service, Windows Update, that deactivated their own product.  Such tomfoolery.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:48 PM
  • This also happened to me. I then tried to activate my license and I was told this was already in use. Had to contact Microsoft via telephone. Got it reactivated but it comes as a bit of a shock. What would happen if you had to wait days for reactivation? You would end up with an expensive mess!

Hope MS get this sorted out quickly.

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:15 AM
  • I ran into the same thing this morning after seeing my computer rebooted on its own.

I guess I will have to call MS and get re-activated. 

What an inconvenience!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Hardware changes usually require activation again (such as many hardware manufacturers rewrite hardware drivers constantly which cause a "change in hardware")...

-phil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:54 PM
  • i also had the same problem, not wanting to go through the hastle of calling ms to have it re-activated i rolled back to a backup i had on another partition, this worked however the same problem arose when ever i tried to dl anything which used wga. I finally bit the bullet and called the automated service and got it re-activated. to be honest it wasnt that much hastle really but its definetly something that needs to be looked at and resolved. In the future i'll think twice before dl'ing any mb drivers.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:59 AM